Menu
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Gamer package - broadband

Anyone got positive info on the gamer package for broadband?

I was considering updating not only for gaming but also streaming videos etc as I wreckon VM throttle my speed as I am hitting around 20 Mbps / 100 Mbps on VM dns servers and around 50 Mbps/100 Mbps when I change my dns servers in the Netgear R7800 (9pm test)

Tests are done on the wire and via 5G which are always near enough the same speeds for instance this morning around 11am when I checked it was 102 Mbps on wire and 96 Mbps 5G wireless , I like to compare both throught the day.

So... The gamers package are speeds consistent or is it also capped @ times?

Cheers,

May the force be with you,

MOA.

HUB 2ac in modem mode, Netgear R7800 Router, a wee switch & NAS.

My Broadband Ping - MOA VM Monitor
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gamer package - broadband

Hi MasterofArts,

Thanks for getting in touch, we don't we don't 'cap' on our connections. 

I have taken a little look and it seem you are affected by fault ref F005039426 for SNR and FECS, the engineers are currently looking into this and we should know more after 06/02/2017. 

I will keep an eye on this for you to make sure there are no other underlying issues once the fault has been cleared. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Emma much appreciated.

I was actually told though it would be fixed by this date.

If its not im afraid I am going to start look at other providers to see whats on offer as the issue has been there for ages. Sad though as ive veen with ntl/virgin since around 1998.

I was looking to upgrade to gamers package aswell but not worthwhile me paying more when I wont get the service levels.

Thanks for replying and keeping me in the loop.

All the best.

MOA.

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Emma,

Is there any chance of giving me a price for the gamers package on its own without the telephone service as I am considering cutting off my landline telephone number simply because I really dont have a need for it anymore due to the mobile phones in the house being unlimited.

MOA.

0 Kudos
GMAN73
Superfast
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

So I have been having issues in Area 28 for last December, was not told about any serious issues affecting my area and now today I find out there is a fault relating to SNR (F005039426), which have been my issues. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Area-28-Issues/td-p/3280104

8:30pm - 10.30pm8:30pm - 10.30pm

0 Kudos
MurdoD
Joining in
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I am in Area 28 also, new 200mb Gamer package started on friday last week (3rd Feb 2017).

Very irritating speed issues.. dropping as low as 20mb (with a ping in the 30's, upload remains over 10mb) in evening.

Range of tests done, with a range of results, leading me to beleive the SH3 is at very least, partially @ fault here. These tests were done within a few minutes of each other at 3pm today

Modem Mode: Laptop plugged in via Ethernet (only 10/100mb adapter) - Ping: 6ms, DL: 90mb UL: 13mb
Router Mode: Laptop on Wifi (2.4ghz, b/g/n), 5ft from hub - Ping: 27, DL: 28mb, UL: 11mb
Router Mode: Samsung Galaxy S7, 5ft from hub - Ping: 7ms, DL 168mb, UL: 12mb

This is really stressing me out! Not from a 'gamer' perspective as I have not yet tried it, however, I work from home and my job is heavily dependant on a fast, stable connection.

I have ordered a both a gigabit ethernet and a 5ghz wireless card for my laptop to run some further tests.

Failing that, I will keep the SH3 in modem mode and go buy a router!

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Keep your eye on my graph in my signature as its a live one, I only started it last night from what I can see the packet loss is kicking in, the latency aint the best either.

MOA.

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Look at the latency alone at 8pm onwards in the thinkbroadband.com monitor, shokinng.

Today I called VM to either upgrade my package if all is fixed or cancel services if I am not.

I have just spent an hour on the phone spoke to 4 agents, All where nice face value but 1 was talking mince.

Two agent tells you the issues you are calling about have no update yet , the other states no issues... One is obviously a liar or needs training.

Sadly being a customer since around 1998 doesn matter these days, all you ask for is open honest information that way you can make better decision.

I finally asked the girl who told me no issues to pass me through to cancellations as I was going to pay early disconnection fee so I can move forward and arrange another supplier. The guy I went through to was decent and said look ill give you £20 quid off your bill this month and contact us to cancel in 29 days time and that way I dont need to pay the fee, pretty decent of him.

So on the 7th March if I have my dates right, my 60 day notice goes in and I am no longer a VM customer.

I have been told I can get BT 70MB broadband but they will need to install a new line which is cool as the current is ancient..... So if anyone can recommend a decent company thats great for gamers please let me know Smiley Happy

MOA.

0 Kudos
MurdoD
Joining in
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

What host are you using for the monitor?

0 Kudos
MasterofArts
Dialled in
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

You don't need a hosting package bud.

If it ever does though I do have a reseller account with heart internet so I'd fire it on a shared server.

All you need to do it go to their website, set up your monitor, change its name so your IP isn't displayed and it gives you various links to use in forums, signatures etc etc.

MOA.

0 Kudos