Menu
SteveTetch
Tuning in
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Frequent router crashes - now with loss of settings

For some months now, my VM Superhub (VMDG480) has reset itself - crashed, for want of a better word - resulting in my losing internet connection for a few minutes. The blue light behind the VM button will go off, then flash red and blue while the connection reasserts itself. Once that's done, it can take my cabled PCs a few seconds to handshake and reconnect - the wireless devices can take another couple of minutes.

I can go several days without it happening, then have it happen three or four times in a few hours. Some of the outages are longer than others. I have a Synology NAS that sends me an email when it loses connection to the Internet for more than about 5 minutes, then generates another when the connection is restored. Having received a few of these while I've been at work over the past year, it seems the PCs play no part in the problem, as the resets still occur when none of them are powered up and the NAS box is the only component active on the network. I think the longest gap between the signal failing and being restored has been about 20 minutes (though I only have the timestamps quoted in the emails to tell me that - I've never seen an outage last longer than two or three minutes when I've been using the network).

I reported it to VM and had my router swapped for a new one last year. After a couple of weeks of no interruptions, the problems started again. They were infrequent, however and I got used to waiting the two or three minutes it took for the reboot to complete and the signal to be restored again, so I did nothing more about it.

In recent weeks, however, the interruptions appear to have become more frequent (at least twice a day, sometimes more). Even worse, in the last couple of days, they appear to have taken the form of complete factory resets - all of my bespoke network settings have gone and the SSID and password have reverted to the defaults on the sticker on the back of the device.  This hasn't happened before.

This is a pain. I had several port-forwarding and other options set and I'm gradually re-adding these as I discover something else that doesn't work as well as it should. I take a settings backup each time I change anything so it's relatively simple to restore things to the way I like them each time, but none of my wireless devices will connect until the settings have been restored.

If I'm out when the router resets, then my wife can't connect with her phone or iPad until I get back and restore the settings.

This is not good.

I've tried power-cycling the router when the problem occurs, but it doesn't seem to make much difference to its stability afterwards. Mostly I just let it re-connect itself and restore the connection in its own good time. The logs on the router have invariably been wiped when they're examined after the connection has been re-established, so there's nothing relevant in there that might point towards the problem.

I've seen one or two other messages outlining the same issues on this and other boards in recent months but haven't seen any reference to a definitive solution.

While barely tolerable previously, losing all of my customisations at each reset is beyond the pale. I have no problems as far as speed or connectivity is concerned while the router is working as it should. These random crashes are now just too annoying and disruptive to ignore.

What can be done to fix this, VM? Let me know if you need any more information.

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
SteveTetch
Tuning in
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frequent router crashes - now with loss of settings ***more information***

A bit of clarification on the above.  The first indication that the problem is afoot is the VM button on the router flashing blue.  Shortly after this is seen, the connection is lost.  10 or 15 seconds later, the light behind the button goes off completely for a few seconds, then flashes red and blue while the connection is re-established and, shortly after this, the browser can refresh the page it was on and browsing can continue anew.

The problem has recurred several times since the original email was written, but I've only lost the settings and needed to restore them once.

I managed to look at the network log at the point the VM button was flashing blue and found the following:

Router Restarts 01 (29Mar16 - 0918).PNG

Shortly after this, once the connection had re-established itself and the browser was responsive again, the log had changed to this:

Router Restarts 02 (29Mar16 - 0918).PNG

N.B.  Even though the router shows the network time correctly (in 'Device Settings' > 'Connection' > 'Current Network Time'), following last weekend's clocks going forward, the timestamps on the log entries still appear to be an hour behind.

There are other messages referring to "Dynamic Range Windows Violation" in this board and they suggest the problem lies with VM.  I'll hope one of their techs gets in touch in due course.

Happy Easter.

Steve

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi SteveTetch, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know about your issues with your router crashing and losing settings, I can appreciate this must be annoying so apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I've had a look over your connection from here and I can't see anything out of the ordinary, all the power levels are within check across the upstream and downstream, and there are no errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs. 

From what you've said, it would seem that the Hub is either rebooting or resetting itself. This won't show up on our diagnostics tools. In order to get this sorted for you I think the best course of action will be to arrange for an engineer to visit and investigate further.

I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. It would be great if you could reply to me there and I'll get this all sorted for you.

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

SteveTetch
Tuning in
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

A VM Engineer called yesterday, late afternoon, thanks to Adam.  He listened to my explanation of the problem and looked at the screenshots in the messages above before swapping the SuperHub and power supply out for new ones.

I thought I'd give it 24 hours of monitoring before posting back here.  That's now over and the new router has been rock solid - not dropping the signal once.

I'm grateful for the swap and encouraged by the improved stability, but will be cautious that the improvement is permanent for a while yet.  As I said above, there was an immediate improvement in stability after the router was swapped the last time, but the old situation gradually reasserted itself over the next few weeks/months.

I'll try to remember to post another update in a couple of weeks (or sooner if there's another dropout!) to confirm the fix.

Thanks again to Adam for the assistance.

Best fishes,

Steve

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi SteveTetch, 

Thanks for posting to let us know how things went with the engineer! We love to hear it when things go right!

I'm glad the engineer listened to your problems and was able to resolve things for you, just remember that if you notice any decline in performance any time at all over the next few weeks then drop a post back here and we'll gladly have a look and help out in any way we can! 

Best wishes, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
SteveTetch
Tuning in
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Well that didn't take long!  Another drop-out this morning.  No lost settings this time and no repeats, (yet).  The only entry in the Network log is timed at 10:20 am today and reads" Error Number: 2436694061, Error Description: Dynamic Range Window violation". 

We're not out of the trees yet...  Over to you, Adam.

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
SmallS
Joining in
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same issues with my

Super Hub VMDG480

Happening daily at least, sometimes 2 or 3 times.

No log data yet as it was lost when it last reset itself.  signal levels look ok both on Downstream and Upstream.

Can you help me please?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi SteveTetch,

I'm sorry to hear that you've suffered a further drop since the engineer visit, was this drop a one off, or have you suffered more of the same since?

If it's an ongoing problem, does everything look to be happening exactly the same as it was on the previous hub?  If you could let us know a bit more info we should be able to help further.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
SteveTetch
Tuning in
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Kev,

Thanks for your response.  Although I haven't lost my router settings yet, the problem has recurred three or four times since the router was replaced.  As far as I can see, the symptoms are the same as last time.

The only change I've made - and it wasn't an attempt at troubleshooting or fixing - was to change the Wireless Band Setting from 5Ghz to 2.5Ghz two or three of hours ago, (after the problem had re-emerged).  A neighbour without wireless broadband asked for help setting Skype up on a mobile phone she'd bought for her mother, but the handset couldn't see or connect to my wireless network unless I made the change.  I haven't had a problem since that change was made, but I've gone for longer than that in the past between problems.   I intend to change Band Setting back tomorrow, after the phone has been delivered.

The logs on the router are currently empty.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks again,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the update on your problems.

Could you let me know how things are when you switch back to 5 GHz?  I'm intrigued by the problem not happening since switching to 2.4 GHz so am curious to know that goes.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos