Menu
crowe99
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Frequent disconnects and poor latency

Hi,

I am hoping the community can help me with a rather annoying error that I should have pressed Virgin on when I originally had an engineer out.

I have been experiencing problems for months and sometimes it is much worse than others.  An example of what happens is below by way of screenshots that were taken when I disconnected.  I have also got a broadband monitor here.Cable modem statusCable modem statusUpstream restoredUpstream restoredT4 timeout againT4 timeout againDownstreamDownstream2016-07-20 (6).pngPartial upstreamPartial upstreamNo upstreamNo upstream

I have spent countless hours on the phone to tech support who regularly tell me it is wireless interference and then state that they are "making some changes" and eventually the problem stops (it is intermittent after all).  These disconnects happen most days but some days it is several times an hour (or more) whereas sometimes it might only happen a single time that I notice.

The logs show T4 timeouts but the tech support teams seem disinterested in the logs and I do not have enough knowledge to know if that is normal or not albeit I'd expect to not have errors on a regular basis.

I am fresh out of ideas so if anyone can think of anything or suggest I'd be most grateful.  If you need more information to do so please let me know but I have tried to include some detail below.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frequent disconnects and poor latency

Hi crowe99, 

Thanks for posting to let us know about the T3 and T4 time outs you've been experiencing, this can be annoying so apologies for any bother.

I have tested the connection from here and I noticed that there's a large number of time outs inside the Hubs logs. In order to resolve this for you, an engineer will be required to attend and investigate things further.

I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking.  Please respond to me there and I'll ensure this all gets booked and secured for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
crowe99
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam,

I have sent you a PM.  Should I be expecting a replacement superhub, new filters or something else?

Rob.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey Rob,

I believe that Adam had arranged for an engineer to visit you last Friday.

How did the appointment go?

Is there anything else we can help with?

Catch you again soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

0 Kudos
crowe99
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sadly the problem is now worse despite a few weeks of working broadband after the engineer replaced the SH and some connections.

I am getting 1-2 Mbps... yes... that's 1-2 Mbps after being told with some fanfare I am now on the 200Mbps service.  Having had an engineer visit under one month ago this is all getting a little frustrating to say the least.  Yes, I have another visit booked for Thursday but it is clear from my experiences and those of others on this forum that your service is creaking at the seams as a result of mass expansion and no doubt huge over-utilisation.

The engineer will come (a senior one apparently)... but I have little to no confidence it will make any difference whatsoever.

5th Sept5th Sept

6th Sept6th Sept

Maybe a little honesty about your utilisation levels, other issues you face or a good explanation for why I have had 2 new hubs and regular problems for about 16 months?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
crowe99
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I did a couple of trace routes and I have also pasted the monitor for the last 24 hours.  Engineer was supposed to arrive today but VM cancelled him without telling me *sigh*.

# Host Sent Recvd Best Avg Worst

1 thinkbroadband-gw2.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net15150ms10ms103ms
2 po4-31.bdr-rt3.thdo.ncuk.net15150ms1ms13ms
3 te2-1-9.star10g.bdr-rt1.thn.ncuk.net15150ms0ms1ms
4 linx-gw1.router.ntli.net15150ms1ms2ms
7 lutn-core-2a-ae3-0.network.virginmedia.net15152ms2ms4ms
8 heme-cmts-09-gigaether-72.network.virginmedia.net15153ms4ms16ms
9 cpc69675-heme9-2-0-cust595.9-1.cable.virginm.net15159ms11ms15ms

# Host Sent Recvd Best Avg Worst

1 thinkbroadband-gw2.core-rs2.thdo.ncuk.net15150ms11ms144ms
2 po4-31.bdr-rt3.thdo.ncuk.net15150ms12ms182ms
3 te2-1-9.star10g.bdr-rt1.thn.ncuk.net15150ms0ms0ms
4 linx-gw1.router.ntli.net15150ms1ms1ms
7 lutn-core-2a-ae3-0.network.virginmedia.net15152ms2ms2ms
8 heme-cmts-09-gigaether-72.network.virginmedia.net15153ms4ms14ms
9 cpc69675-heme9-2-0-cust595.9-1.cable.virginm.net15158ms12ms26ms

Variable latency!Variable latency!

Speed now registering around 200 Mb but therein lies the problem as it does that sometimes but try and download something or stream or work from home and it almost never works consistently.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi crowe99, 

Thanks for getting in touch to let us know that your getting some frequent disconnects with your connection, I know this must be annoying for you so apologies for any bother.

I have tested things from here and I noticed that there's a large number of time outs inside the Hubs logs and an engineer will be required to visit and investigate things further for you.

I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll ensure this all gets booked and secured for you.

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

0 Kudos
crowe99
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just so I keep the record of what is going on within the thread, this is from right now:

Superfast.... notSuperfast.... not

I turned the router off over night but check the end of the graphI turned the router off over night but check the end of the graph

Unsurprisingly everything stopped working due to mass latency increase and speed decrease.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Disable the wireless in the super hub have only one wired device connected or use modem mode and insure your not downloading or uploading and run this speed test at different times.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

0 Kudos