Menu
fitzy121
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Frequent Wi-Fi Dropouts?

First of all thanks for taking the time to read this, this has been happening for a long time and now it's starting to get rather frustrating., especially having talked to someone on the live chat and they just tell me what to do what I have already done. I appreciate that there are line maintenances that will slow down our speeds, however what is happening is that quite frequently our 2.4ghz radio will drop out and everyone on that radio will get dropped off. During this time the 5ghz radio is absolutely fine and doesn't require any assistance in continuing to function. The only way I have found to fix this so far is to

A) Restart the router, however this also removes all wired and 5Ghz connections which can be painful and a long time to go without the internet if we have to do it continuously.
B) Change the radio frequency, but again this can be frustrating if I have to do it constantly.

I talked to someone on live chat last week or so, who said that they would send me diagnostics and some fixes to my email, I never recieved the diagnostics and the "fixes" were to just change the radio channel, of which I already told them I was already doing. I can provide any other details here on request. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Please note this is happening on all devices connected to the 2.4GHz radio, not just one of them.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Frequent Wi-Fi Dropouts?

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference. The 2.4Ghz band is narrow and prone to interference especially due to the ever increasing popularity of wifi gadgets. It is not only nearby wifi networks that can cause interference, but appliances such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc. The 2.4Ghz band is nicknamed the junk bank with good reason.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel. Bear in mind that wireless environments are dynamic and can change at any time. Changing your wireless channel can have a cascade effect, with other wireless networks changing channels to avoid your new channel. With only 3 non overlapping channels, there is not a lot of wiggle room.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

The 5Ghz band is wider and not so densely populated, so interference is not so much of a problem.

The Superhubs are basic entry level devices and getting a decent third party wireless router with external antennae might allieviate the problem somewhat, but might not completely cure it depending on how badly your wireless environment is congested and other factors like range and the topography of your home.

0 Kudos
fitzy121
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This doens't help at all, I'm still changing the channel up to 20 times a day now and it's really boring to do, it doesn't matter changing the channel to the "Best channel" it's still terrible
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello fitzy121,

Welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the issues with your connection, it certainly sounds frustrating.

I've taken a good look at your connection and right now you're upstream power levels are out of range, this will require an engineer to visit.

I'll send you the appointment info via PM (purple envelope, top right).

Speak with you very soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
robwhite70
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Heather,

Please could i have the same diagnostics run on my installation as i am having this exact same problems.

Every day i am having to reboot the router to ensure 2.5Ghz connection is working.

I notice one response in here is that the Router provided by Virgin is an entry level device and we could consider purchasing an after market device, i hope this isn't true that Virgin are knowingly providing its customers with low quality devices considering the amount of money we pay. And to purchase another router that will obviously require power is not a very "green" solution.

Please investigate my connection as per your previous post and hopefully you can find a permanent fix to this problem.

Regards

Rob

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How is a wired connection, if that is solid then adjusting levels wont improve wifi stability.

Have you done the usual checks to see if any of your channels are clashing, and that you have no baby monitors etc that may be interfering.

0 Kudos
Jacevoor77
Up to speed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Mine is in router mode with wifi off and using a netgear in access point mode to get me by 

As when it's in modem mode it drops the net 

0 Kudos
robwhite70
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wired connection is solid, yes, i have adjusted the channels often, used a channel scanner to see what channels would be best also, we have no baby monitors in the house. I have even borrowed another WiFi router, set the Virgin one as Modem only and never have any trouble with the 3rd Party router, even when setup on the same wifi channels. I just dont really want to run 2 devices, i want 1 reliable device.
0 Kudos
robwhite70
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This just seems crazy, the money we pay for this service we should be able to use the device provided and intended for the service, not have to purchase other devices so that we can implement a workaround.
0 Kudos