Menu
Marrea
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Free WiFi access Opt Out question ?

It may be bleedin’ obvious to a “Superuser” with 15,800 posts, but maybe not quite so to a female OAP with only 28 posts!! Smiley Happy

I have no need or desire to sign into VM WiFi while out in the street. So, no, my question wasn’t about that. As I do not want to take advantage of this new service I do not want other people getting access to my connection. I am merely trying to make sure I find a 100% proof way of preventing this.

So (if you can possibly forgive my technical ignorance Smiley Embarassed) say for instance I didn’t opt out and I was using the SH in modem mode and the Netgear router with wireless switched on, in that scenario would Virgin still somehow be able to get through to my Netgear router and enable people out in the street to connect to VM WiFi?  If Virgin can’t do this, then I assume I don’t actually need to opt out?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 22 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Marrea wrote:

say for instance I didn’t opt out and I was using the SH in modem mode and the Netgear router with wireless switched on, in that scenario would Virgin still somehow be able to get through to my Netgear router and enable people out in the street to connect to VM WiFi?  If Virgin can’t do this, then I assume I don’t actually need to opt out?

Virgin Media could not use a third party router for Virgin Media WiFi. You would have to be running in router mode for the SuperHub to broadcast the appropriate signal.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Marrea
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 25
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:
Virgin Media could not use a third party router for Virgin Media WiFi. You would have to be running in router mode for the SuperHub to broadcast the appropriate signal.

BenMcr

Many thanks for that confirmation. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
matt84
Tuning in
Message 24 of 25
Flag for a moderator

When is this Free WiFi due for release? Its seems to have gone all quiet and as far as I can tell I do not have access to other Virgin Customers broadband when out and about (hotspots)

Cheers

0 Kudos
wyabcp
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 25
Flag for a moderator

This is a pointless service for me, being on Windows Phone, so i'll make sure I opt out.

Any clue when we'll have a Windows 10 UWP app ?

thanks

0 Kudos