Menu
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Free WiFi access Opt Out question ?

You could be in router mode, turn DHCP off, add your router, use that for your wireless and the SH for public WiFi.
Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 12 of 25
Flag for a moderator

My way is better.

Besides whats stopping people who Opt in from turning their super hub off and then going out and about using others wireless?
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 13 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Am hoping there is/will be some software on Virgin's side to pick up someone who opt's in and then turns their hub off, maybe to automatically opt you out after a certain period.

I expect some of you guys already know the answer if there is/will be or not.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
HourOfTheWolf
Tuning in
Message 14 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I have a Super Hub in router mode but with the WiFi disabled. Does this opt me out?

0 Kudos
E17Computerguy
Superfast
Message 15 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Will opting out also prevent me from using the London Underground Virgin Media Wi-Fi hotspots, or just other people's SuperHubs?

Jake
0 Kudos
alphaomega16
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Why the hell is this opt out instead of opt in in the first place, dont make people have to contact you to opt out of something.

0 Kudos
MDF
Joining in
Message 17 of 25
Flag for a moderator

If other people are using our wifi, won't that slow it down? 

0 Kudos
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 18 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I don't believe the Superduds are capable of sending decent signals outside your house anyway, as they struggle within in it !

I'm in modem mode and will be staying that way, the whole idea is flawed on a number of security and performance fronts.

0 Kudos
Marrea
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I have looked through Virgin’s FAQs about the forthcoming Virgin Media Wi-Fi but can find absolutely nothing about whether this new service applies or doesn’t apply to those customers who are using their SuperHub in Modem Mode. Please can we have some definite information from Virgin on this?

I myself have had my SH in Modem mode from the day it was installed and I don’t have wireless switched on all the time on the Netgear router I use with it. Wireless is always turned off at night and every time I do anything sensitive such as banking or buying items from websites.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 20 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Marrea wrote:

I have looked through Virgin’s FAQs about the forthcoming Virgin Media Wi-Fi but can find absolutely nothing about whether this new service applies or doesn’t apply to those customers who are using their SuperHub in Modem Mode. Please can we have some definite information from Virgin on this?

I myself have had my SH in Modem mode from the day it was installed and I don’t have wireless switched on all the time on the Netgear router I use with it. Wireless is always turned off at night and every time I do anything sensitive such as banking or buying items from websites.

It's in the realms of the bleedin' obvious. You said it yourself - wireless is turned off!

If your question is about whether you can opt in from My VM and yet be in modem mode so that you can sign into VM WiFi while out in the street, then you're right - they're silent on that.

I'll let you know on 2nd September when I've tried it!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos