Menu
cazz
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Free WiFi access Opt Out question ?

Just got the email about the free wi-fi access for anyone by people using our superhub Smiley Surprised  Can someone confirm if we 'Opt Out' does this mean that our Superhub definately won't be used for the free access ?

If you’d rather not take part, no problem – just let us know. Simply register or sign in to your account at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia and select My Profile. Bear in mind though, if you do opt out, you won’t be able to use Virgin Media WiFi when you’re out and about.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Free WiFi access Opt Out question ?

My understanding is that if you opt out of making your hub available, then you also are removing yourself from using anyone else's hotspots.

But yes, saying you have opted out will mean that your superhub will not be used for this purpose

0 Kudos

All Replies
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My understanding is that if you opt out of making your hub available, then you also are removing yourself from using anyone else's hotspots.

But yes, saying you have opted out will mean that your superhub will not be used for this purpose

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cazz

That's correct. If you opt-out, you're Super Hub won't be used. 

Of course, this means that you won't be able to make use of the Virgin Media Wi-Fi hotspots when out and about.

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

RoyalStandard
Up to speed
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

James_W wrote:

Of course, this means that you won't be able to make use of the Virgin Media Wi-Fi hotspots when out and about.

If I'm a "modem-mode" user, and haven't actually opted-out, can I still use Virgin Media Wi-Fi hotspots when out and about?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

RoyalStandard wrote:

James_W wrote:

If I'm a "modem-mode" user, and haven't actually opted-out, can I still use Virgin Media Wi-Fi hotspots when out and about?

You are still opted-out.

Its possible VM could allow you to use Virgin Media Wi-Fi hotspots if you pay extra and be opted-out but its possible for another mode with Wi-Fi hotspots and modem mode can be done so you have three modes router mode, modem mode and Wi-Fi hotspots and modem mode doubtful VM will do this.

Really I don't see whats wrong with using 3G or 4G as a backup or hotspot the wireless in the super hubs are not that great.

Could this all be a waste of time and resources?

0 Kudos
Mariusmssj
Tuning in
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

So what if I use hub in Modem mode and have my own router? Will this force-enable the hub to share wi-fi?
0 Kudos
Sythen
Up to speed
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I'm happy that we can opt-out of this, id rather not have the pub using my WiFi network.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Mariusmssj wrote:
So what if I use hub in Modem mode and have my own router? Will this force-enable the hub to share wi-fi?

No not force the firmware to do modem mode with share wi-fi is not a option yet so when your in modem mode the broadband you love and pay for will stay exclusively yours.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

James_W wrote:

Hi Cazz

James

I do like the idea that if your not willing to maybe give a little, you can't take from others.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
legacy1
Hero
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I be happier to have another super hub running along side my super hub I use modem mode everyone else use the other super hub for your WiFi access.
0 Kudos