Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 7 (100 Views)

Free Trial connection dropping!

We are currently on day 3 of our 3 month free trial period on the 200mb fibre, as soon as it was set up i ran a speed test and showed a fantastic 167mb upload!! Fantastic.... however since running that speed test is just gone down hill, we have had no connection more times than we've had connection. For the past day i have constantly been running tests which show as follows (even whilst posting this the internet has just dropped out and not allowed me to complete this, i am now having to use my mobile data)
12th aug 17 @ 16:30
59mb download, 12.28mb upload, 22 ping

12th aug 17 @ 16:31 (just 1 minute later)
0.94mb download, 11.96 upload, 24 ping.

12th aug 17 @ 16:32
12.24mb download, 12.27mb upload, 23 ping

12th aug 17 @ 16:37
0.80mb download, 12.26mb upload, 10 ping

12th aug 17 @ 16:38
213.98mb download, 12.52mb upload, 11 ping

I could go on, however i think you see the pattern, great speeds for 30 seconds and then it drops so low it cant even open a basic web page, or goes off completely and looses a connection.
Even between those tests i posted there were times where it could not complete a test as there was no internet connection!
This thankfully is a 3month Free trial period, which im thankful for, because if i was paying for this and stuck in a contract, i would seriously be annoyed! However if this does not get sorted, thats all this will be, a free trial and nothing more, as i certainly wont be signing up to this horrendous connection!

Of course i did the virgin test and says there is no problems with the connection, as if i expected anything different from other peoples comments.

This needs sorting, and sorting now!

Shaun.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 7 (91 Views)

Re: Free Trial connection dropping!

to get it sorted or at least to get help you need to post more info - start with the basics

are you testing wired or wireless - always test wired 

log into superhub - 192.168.0.1 - DON'T SIGN IN, click router status - and post the downstream and upstream figures

Tony
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 7 (86 Views)

Hi Tony, thanks for getting back to me,

The tests are being done Wirelessly, i have no need for a wired connection, nore is it possible as it is used for our phones and ipads, further to that, its all well and good testing a wired connection, when we dont use it? Am i still able to do this test wirelessly?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 7 (83 Views)

VM sell connection to the modem - after that its down to us the user - wireless has too many variables that are out of VM's or any other ISP's control so a test has to be done wired to prove if its an input fault of a wifi problem

if the former then it is needs investigating by VM - if the latter then the best you will get from them is change channels to one that is not busy

so - yes you need to test wired to fill that blank in - you can post the upstream and downstream levels regardless to see if they are in spec 

Tony
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 7 (81 Views)

Thank you, i will get hold of a laptop and test the connections
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 6 of 7 (75 Views)

[ Edited ]

Quick answer: WiFi introduces far too many technical variables that relate to local RF environment, users configuration,orientation,device antenna,firmware and testing environment.

If VM cannot locate any obvious problem/utilisation issue on your cable segment or remote access to your Hub and you can't obtain/borrow a wired connection then it will  delay providing even a tech visit, who will only test Hub/wired connectivity AT THE TIME OF HIS VISIT and optional a limited connectivity with any PDA mobile he may have. 

Good luck with the 3 month Trial in meantime (sounds like an incredibly re-assuring Good Deal!) -  but I suggest checking the small print on the contract to make sure that VM explicitly support any and all your own devices on solely WiFi connectivity/performance on site because otherwise I suspect it's virtually worthless.      

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 7 (56 Views)

Okay so got a laptop and did a wired connection, quick test initially wouldnt load on the web page after a few minutes, tried again and the download was 41mb, and the internet still isnt great. below are the following results from 192.168.0.1

Virgin Downstream.jpgVirgin upstream.jpg

0 Kudos