Menu
ShaunDS
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Free Trial connection dropping!

We are currently on day 3 of our 3 month free trial period on the 200mb fibre, as soon as it was set up i ran a speed test and showed a fantastic 167mb upload!! Fantastic.... however since running that speed test is just gone down hill, we have had no connection more times than we've had connection. For the past day i have constantly been running tests which show as follows (even whilst posting this the internet has just dropped out and not allowed me to complete this, i am now having to use my mobile data)
12th aug 17 @ 16:30
59mb download, 12.28mb upload, 22 ping

12th aug 17 @ 16:31 (just 1 minute later)
0.94mb download, 11.96 upload, 24 ping.

12th aug 17 @ 16:32
12.24mb download, 12.27mb upload, 23 ping

12th aug 17 @ 16:37
0.80mb download, 12.26mb upload, 10 ping

12th aug 17 @ 16:38
213.98mb download, 12.52mb upload, 11 ping

I could go on, however i think you see the pattern, great speeds for 30 seconds and then it drops so low it cant even open a basic web page, or goes off completely and looses a connection.
Even between those tests i posted there were times where it could not complete a test as there was no internet connection!
This thankfully is a 3month Free trial period, which im thankful for, because if i was paying for this and stuck in a contract, i would seriously be annoyed! However if this does not get sorted, thats all this will be, a free trial and nothing more, as i certainly wont be signing up to this horrendous connection!

Of course i did the virgin test and says there is no problems with the connection, as if i expected anything different from other peoples comments.

This needs sorting, and sorting now!

Shaun.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Free Trial connection dropping!

to get it sorted or at least to get help you need to post more info - start with the basics

are you testing wired or wireless - always test wired 

log into superhub - 192.168.0.1 - DON'T SIGN IN, click router status - and post the downstream and upstream figures

Tony
ShaunDS
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony, thanks for getting back to me,

The tests are being done Wirelessly, i have no need for a wired connection, nore is it possible as it is used for our phones and ipads, further to that, its all well and good testing a wired connection, when we dont use it? Am i still able to do this test wirelessly?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VM sell connection to the modem - after that its down to us the user - wireless has too many variables that are out of VM's or any other ISP's control so a test has to be done wired to prove if its an input fault of a wifi problem

if the former then it is needs investigating by VM - if the latter then the best you will get from them is change channels to one that is not busy

so - yes you need to test wired to fill that blank in - you can post the upstream and downstream levels regardless to see if they are in spec 

Tony
ShaunDS
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, i will get hold of a laptop and test the connections
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Quick answer: WiFi introduces far too many technical variables that relate to local RF environment, users configuration,orientation,device antenna,firmware and testing environment.

If VM cannot locate any obvious problem/utilisation issue on your cable segment or remote access to your Hub and you can't obtain/borrow a wired connection then it will  delay providing even a tech visit, who will only test Hub/wired connectivity AT THE TIME OF HIS VISIT and optional a limited connectivity with any PDA mobile he may have. 

Good luck with the 3 month Trial in meantime (sounds like an incredibly re-assuring Good Deal!) -  but I suggest checking the small print on the contract to make sure that VM explicitly support any and all your own devices on solely WiFi connectivity/performance on site because otherwise I suspect it's virtually worthless.      

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
ShaunDS
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Okay so got a laptop and did a wired connection, quick test initially wouldnt load on the web page after a few minutes, tried again and the download was 41mb, and the internet still isnt great. below are the following results from 192.168.0.1

Virgin Downstream.jpgVirgin upstream.jpg

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to read you are having an issue with the broadband connection.

I would like to check your connection for any issues, however I was unable to locate your account. If you can send me a Private Message confirming your name and full address, I can look into this further.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ShaunDS
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So update on this. The forum admin (samantha) helped a great deal, tried moving the route (hub3) and just wouldnt do anything even bought boosters and still just dropped wifi signal constantly. As we still had our old router (Superhub 2ac) i decided to get this activated. Since this has been activated the wifi has been floorless!! Brilliant signal thoughout the house (over 3 floors) and upwards of 100mbs everytime i test the wifi! Anyone having problems with theirs should try this too if they have another hub available. Thanks for your help Samantha.
0 Kudos