Menu
forexandi
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Fixed/static IP

Hi,

How do I go about getting a static IP address on my residential broadband account?

Thanks, Andi

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
bromham
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Fixed/static IP

VM don't offer a service with static IP addresses on residential accounts, so you can't, at least not with Virgin.  Some other broadband providers do offer static IP, such as AAISP (aa.net.uk).

In practice, VM IP addresses don't change very often but they can change without notice.  A workaround for many situations is to use one of the many Dynamic DNS providers, such as no-ip.com, where you run some software on a permanently-connected device such as a router or a Raspberry Pi that regularly updates your own DNS entry with the current IP address in use.

All Replies
bromham
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM don't offer a service with static IP addresses on residential accounts, so you can't, at least not with Virgin.  Some other broadband providers do offer static IP, such as AAISP (aa.net.uk).

In practice, VM IP addresses don't change very often but they can change without notice.  A workaround for many situations is to use one of the many Dynamic DNS providers, such as no-ip.com, where you run some software on a permanently-connected device such as a router or a Raspberry Pi that regularly updates your own DNS entry with the current IP address in use.

ccarmock
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As has been mentioned, Virgin Media don't offer fixed IP address option ont heir residential products, but they do on the business services.  See Virgin Media Business for more on that.

0 Kudos
seedubya9
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Why does my DHCP say 'No'?Why does my DHCP say 'No'?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

That's the output from a Windows ipconfig /all command. From the look of it these are not your real network cards being shown, and it does show that the cable is disconnected. Also I would not expect DHCP to be running on a Windows workstation, only on a Windows Server!

What you need to do is to logon to your router, either the VM modem/hub or if your are running in modem mode your router. Then you can look at the DHCP status of the WAN (the VM network side) of your Internet connection and this will show that it is DHCP. If you want to look at your DHCP side (192.168.0.x) connections you need to look at your LAN addresses.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos