Menu
hothamwater
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Fiber Hub 3.0 Connectivity/speed and using just as a modem

Hi,

I am considering taking out a fiber broadband plan with Virgin but already have a pretty good networking infrastructure at home, including an Asus DSLAC68U router (https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLAC68U/) positioned in the centre of my house (for best wifi connectivity throughout).

My questions/concerns are:

1. Can I continue to use my Asus router and just use the modem function on the virgin provided Hub?

2. Does the Hub 3.0 have any USB connections? I have a large backup drive directly linked to my current router via USB and would like to continue to work like this even if I am forced to replace the existing router with the hub 3.0.

3. Is it possible to buy a standalone fiber modem to use with Virgin's service? The reason is that I want the modem to be in one location of the house (due to existing coaxial wiring)  and the router in another part of the house (due to existing cat 5 wiring and central wifi location). Using just the Single Virgin supplied box won't allow this.

4. What is the interface/software like for the Virgin box? Can I easily forward ports, setup guest networks, share data to the internet, etc like I can for my Asus router? 

5. Speed - does anyone have any idea what the signal reception and speed would be like for the wifi compared to the Asus model above? Also the Ethernet performance? I currently have many wired devices and performance is important. I realise this has gigabit Ethernet but that's no good if the hardware can't handle large amounts of traffic at once.

I have tried asking Virgin the answers to these and so far have received a combination of contradictory answers and "I don't know"s. Virgin have also suggested ordering the pakage to find out. I don't wish to order the package of it will cripple my current setup. Even if I can return it it will be a big waste of my time.

Hope someone here can help!

Thanks,

Philip

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fiber Hub 3.0 Connectivity/speed and using just as a modem

hothamwater wrote:

Hi,

I am considering taking out a fiber broadband plan with Virgin but already have a pretty good networking infrastructure at home, including an Asus DSLAC68U router (https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLAC68U/) positioned in the centre of my house (for best wifi connectivity throughout).

My questions/concerns are:

1. Can I continue to use my Asus router and just use the modem function on the virgin provided Hub?

[SEPH]: Unfortunately, your router does not have a second WAN port and AFAIK, none of the LAN ports can be cut across to a WAN function.

2. Does the Hub 3.0 have any USB connections? I have a large backup drive directly linked to my current router via USB and would like to continue to work like this even if I am forced to replace the existing router with the hub 3.0.

[SEPH]: The Hub 3's USB fnctions are not enabled.  This is for VM's convenience (though I hold it to be sensible in this case)  because heavy disk usage wold then get the blame for stealing router capacity from the Internet facing functions.

3. Is it possible to buy a standalone fiber modem to use with Virgin's service? The reason is that I want the modem to be in one location of the house (due to existing coaxial wiring)  and the router in another part of the house (due to existing cat 5 wiring and central wifi location). Using just the Single Virgin supplied box won't allow this.

[SEPH]: No.  VM have this firmly locked down to their own hubs.

4. What is the interface/software like for the Virgin box? Can I easily forward ports, setup guest networks, share data to the internet, etc like I can for my Asus router? 

[SEPH]: The Hub 3 as with all VM hubs, is a get-you-going device.  Nothing of a remotely advanced nature is available on any of the hubs.  Port Forwarding is available but reportedly flakey on the current firmware.  I do everything with the Hub 3 in modem mode and an ASUS RT-AC68U attached.

I have tried asking Virgin the answers to these and so far have received a combination of contradictory answers and "I don't know"s. Virgin have also suggested ordering the pakage to find out. I don't wish to order the package of it will cripple my current setup. Even if I can return it it will be a big waste of my time.

[SEPH]: The VM Broadband in my area is very fast with no peak time deficiency.  I can't speak for your area.  BT Infinity and the like are very bad value propositions, especially as the highest speed you can get if you are near to the cabinet is 76Meg.  So laying out for a cable router and maybe selling the DSL router would be a worthwhile bet.

You'll never get a decent answer out of VM if it's not tightly bound to their own kit.

Hope someone here can help!

Thanks,

Philip

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
hothamwater
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply, all very helpful.

Just a couple of questions -
>>unfortunately, your router does not have a second WAN port and AFAIK, none of the LAN ports can be cut across to a WAN function

Why would I need a second WAN port? Wouldn't I just need the one connected to the Virgin hub?

I see that your RT-AC68U is very similar to my Asus router. Is there something different about the wan port on yours? It seems (nievely) like I could do the same as you with my router. I was assuming taking an Ethernet cable out of the hub and into the wan port.

If that won't work I'll likely swap for a RT-AC68U as I like the Asus router and if you use that setup successfully at least I know it should work!
Thanks,
Philip
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

hothamwater wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply, all very helpful.

Just a couple of questions -
>>unfortunately, your router does not have a second WAN port and AFAIK, none of the LAN ports can be cut across to a WAN function

Why would I need a second WAN port? Wouldn't I just need the one connected to the Virgin hub?
[SEPH]: Your current router takes its WAN input from a telephone type socket.  That socket is not compatible with the Ethernet cable required to go from the Hub's WAN socket to the expected WAN socket in your router.  Yours is a DSL router; you need a Cable router or a router with dual WAN sockets, one for ADSL, one for Cable or its equivalent out of a BT stand alone modem (HG612) that they used to supply with BT Infinity.

I see that your RT-AC68U is very similar to my Asus router. Is there something different about the wan port on yours? It seems (nievely) like I could do the same as you with my router. I was assuming taking an Ethernet cable out of the hub and into the wan port.
[SEPH]: You can connect the DSL router to the Hub via Ethernet, the latter having to remain in router mode and the former being set to Bridge mode.  You can turn Wireless off in the Hub if you wish.  The DSL router will sit within the 192.168.0.1 subnet of the Hub.  In this set up, the WAN will still be talking as primary to the Hub.

If that won't work I'll likely swap for a RT-AC68U as I like the Asus router and if you use that setup successfully at least I know it should work!
Thanks,
Philip

0 Kudos
hothamwater
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.
Digging a little deeper it seems that me DSL router actually supports dual wan, where one of the Ethernet sockets can be switched to accept a cable wan input. I loose one socket but can work with that.
Thanks again!
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I didn't see that in the DSL manual. But looking at my Router Advanced WAN Settings, and no doubt yours, I do indeed find an option to steal a LAN port for WAN purposes. In this case:

1/
Configure the DSL-AC68U making sure that NAT is enabled in the WAN menu. Enable the DHCP server in the LAN menu. Connect the powered on router to the Hub

2/
Set the Hub to Modem Mode. The Hub 3 lamp at the bottom will turn mauve when that has occurred.

3/
When the Hub has rebooted into modem mode, it will find the ASUS and pass the WAN IP over.

Keep us posted.

0 Kudos
hothamwater
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's great, yes I do have that option in my router menu.
Will go ahead and set that up once I chance to virgin. Will follow up in a couple of weeks.
Thanks again.
0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@hothamwater you will be fine with that Asus router, with the hub 3.0 in modem mode only.

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos