Menu
grantdale
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Faceplates and coax extension

Hi,

I'm currently overhauling the house and removing all cables etc. from skirting boards and instead chasing them into walls. I intend to have a faceplate (http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gang-f-type-satellite-grid-module-white/46007) in 1 room and another in my office. I've got a webro hd100 coax run (10m) long and intend to connect each end to the faceplates. Therein, I would have a 20cm coax cable connecting the "Virgin owned" white box to my faceplate and then another 20cm coax cable from the other faceplate to my modem.

Is this something that is doable? Am I likely to get issues with resistance because of the 2 faceplates and new connectors? My reasoning for extending like this is if there are any problems then I can simply unplug from the faceplate and test rather than VM telling me my coax run is no longer working? Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of? I've asked VM tech support but if I'm honest the detail I got was a little sparse.

Connectivity would look something like this:

VM Faceplate --> Faceplate 1 --> Faceplate 2 --> Modem

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Faceplates and coax extension

Hi there grantdale,

Welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for posting in such detail. I'll be completely honest, I've not had an experience with a faceplate before. I've just had a read on the link you provided, and technically I can't see any issue. However, like I said I've not experienced one in use before.

I'd be interested in keeping in touch to hear how you get on. If you need us to check your power levels or anything, just ask.

Thanks again for posting,

Take care.  

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
yadesai
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Did it work?
0 Kudos
grantdale
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi yes it did I ended up ordering a blank faceplate and the module to go in separately ( I can't find what I ordered now). The only thing to be really aware of is make sure you order the threaded adapter and then order a sealed cable with precut threaded ends on. This will avoid leaking any noise back onto the network. You then connect the cable to the back of the module, the same the other side and put your faceplate on. I then have 1m run from the virgin inlet to mine and then another 1m run (after about 15-20 through the loft) into the super hub. No degradation in speed because of it. Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
yadesai
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks and did you use Webro HD100 cable or did you use another specification of cable

0 Kudos