Menu
quadrant
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

FTP site and Port forwarding

trying to set up a machine as an ftp site on the LAN. I configured port forwarding for port 21 on the hub and assigned a fixed ip to the machine hosting the ftp site so that traffic is forwarded to that ip. I signed up with noip.com so I can go ftp://******.ddns.net:21 which resolves to the assigned external ip and points the connection at port 21 which should then be forwarded to my local machine but I am not able to connect. Using FileZilla Server as the ftp server and trying to connect from a remote machine to which I've connected using TeamViewer. Any clues what I've missed or am doing wrong ?? Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
chr0m4t1c
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: FTP site and Port forwarding

FTP uses more than port 21.

You'll need to configure your FileZilla server for passive mode, set up a custom port range and then also forward those ports in the hub configuration.

I'm presuming you've already checked that the FileZilla server works inside your network :-)

legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Have you tested your remote machine can connect to given FTP servers in Active or Passive ?
ftp.coreftp.com active works but source port is not 20 due to their given NAT type
ftp.isc.org

If your wanting FileZilla to just work be sure to have user anonymous.
You can test FTP here:
http://www.infobyip.com/ftptest.php

0 Kudos
billybob69
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Similar to the OP, I'm trying to FTP on a LAN (to my Smart TV).

I have disabled the firewalls on both the router / modem and on my PC.

I've given this app a go -
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
It is telling me that port 21 is closed on my EXTERNAL ip address.

So I have tried to open the ports within the hub configuration, but it is still not working.

The (internal) ports that I have opened are -

192.168.0.32 (Range 21-21)

192.168.0.23 (Range 80-80)

(DOCSIS 3.0, Software v. 9.1.116v, Hardware v. 10)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

0 Kudos
billybob69
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Anyone?

I've since gone into cmd.exe and run netstat -a -b and I notice that it gives this output:
"TCP :21 cex:0 LISTENING FileZilla Server"

From what I understand this suggests that it is a firewall or porting issues.
I have switched off the firewall on my PC and have tried it with both the firewall on and off on HomeHub3 software but to now available.

I've been going around in so many circles that I have read that port forwarding only works with that modem software if the firewall is switched ON but another thread suggests that HH3 doesn't allow for port forwarding at all?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

bb69

0 Kudos
billybob69
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Almost two weeks have gone by and no response. Does anyone from Virgin Media customer services actually reply to customer queries?????

0 Kudos