Menu
ols20
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Extremely Slow Wireless Speed - Wired Speed Fine

Hello All,

I am posting this having already spent over an hour on the phone with the Virgin call center which didn't resolve the matter.

I have abysmal wireless download (3.16 mbps) and upload (0.91 mbps) speeds. This is consistent on all devices - 2 windows PCs, 3 android devices and an Ipad using speedtest.net 

Wired connection is right up to the 50mbps mark it should be.

I've had this problem for well over a year but gave up after the call center tried numerous settings, none of which worked and then reset to default. Their advice was that it would improve in time - it never has improved and I can't put up with it any longer.

I have a VMDG480 super hub. I have tried different channels and 2.4ghz vs 5ghz and none of this has helped.

I would like a new Super Hub please Virgin - enough is enough!

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Extremely Slow Wireless Speed - Wired Speed Fine

Yes, your assumption is absolutely correct. If it's several devices that experience bad wireless, then it's almost certainly that old SH1 that's on its last legs.

The VM bods take a week or so to get to a thread - but they'll send you a new hub when they do deal with you. So a bit of a wait still. Calling it in to India is a totral crap shott and will prolly annoy you even further.

Keep us posted.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

richtea2014
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

We have had the same experience of frequently (nearly always) almost non-existent wi-fi from our old Superhub, no matter where we are in the house.  I do believe that the Superhub is the problem, but having read many posts, I am not sure that an updated one will solve the problem.  Even so, I think we have to try the latest version.  I would appreciate any help to make this happen.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Morning ols20,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies for the late reply and for the issues you are experiencing with the connection. I can see that you have had advice from the community which is great Smiley Happy

In regards to this issue, I would like to send you a replacement router to get this resolved. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

you can change the channel or try your own router. Wireless is not a connection method that any ISP can control as its effected by factors outside VM or your control.
If you are getting the speeds wired then that is what VM are delivering to you
0 Kudos
ols20
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - As in my post - I've tried the different channels route.

I don't have 'my own router' and as a long time Virgin customer do not expect to have to invest in one.

I believe there to be an issue with the old router provided by Virgin so unless they are able to provide me a solution it's surely reasonable to request a new one from them?

I have seen examples of this same issue on this board which have been fixed by a new super hub.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

ols20 wrote:

Thanks - As in my post - I've tried the different channels route.

I don't have 'my own router' and as a long time Virgin customer do not expect to have to invest in one.

[SEPH]: There is no relationship between being a long time customer and the potential need for your own router.  

I believe there to be an issue with the old router provided by Virgin so unless they are able to provide me a solution it's surely reasonable to request a new one from them?

[SEPH]: You are quite right, though, to ask for a hub that isn't a piece of crap like the SH1 is.  But the chances of it improving your experience depend on the detail of that experience.

If, for example, when standing nexto the SH1, WiFi misbehaves on all your devices, then it likely is the SH1 at fault.  If, on the other hand, the problem is in another room, then other factors come into play.  Normally 2.4GHz radio pentrates walls better than 5GHz.  But the further away the user device, the greater the signal attenutation and the lower the performance.

So maybe you can tell us more more of the detail.  An own router is not a necessity for dealing with this situation - indeed it might not help as much as you would want.

I have seen examples of this same issue on this board which have been fixed by a new super hub.

0 Kudos
ols20
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

For the purpose of trying everything I have tested the speed on a Windows and 2 android devices next to the router and I still am not able to get more than 3mbps.

Also when using normally, signal strength isn't weak.

Am i right in thinking that if I'm getting these speeds when standing close to the unobstructed router then the environment isn't the factor here?

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, your assumption is absolutely correct. If it's several devices that experience bad wireless, then it's almost certainly that old SH1 that's on its last legs.

The VM bods take a week or so to get to a thread - but they'll send you a new hub when they do deal with you. So a bit of a wait still. Calling it in to India is a totral crap shott and will prolly annoy you even further.

Keep us posted.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Postng your power levels may help.

The SH1 is such an underpowered piece ok kit, it cannot handle frequent power adjustments and a wireless connection the same time, so marginal power levels could possibly be the culprit. However, it does need to be swapped out to a SH2 or Hub 3.

Got to slightly disagree here, being close to the router does not negate wireless interference, If the router/client can recieve signals from other wifi networks and other sources of interference like a\v streaming devices, baby monitors, chordless phones, microwave ovens, plasma tvs, security systems etc. it will be perceived as noise, and will affect the SNR of your signal. The amount of received noise will depend on the number, strength and phasing of the errant signal(s). Usually, you should be able to get a good quality signal with a good SNR close to the router, but it is not guarenteed.

Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer or WiFiAnalyser for Android would show the signal strength, testing at about 1m from the hub should show if the wireless radios are failing. You should see a signal strength of about -23dBm at about 1m. The scanners will also help choosing the best wireless channel, bearing in mind the scanner will not show interferencefrom the domestic appliances I mentioned above,

Enough of my ramblings, short answer get the SH1 swapped out.

legacy1
Hero
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

ols20 wrote:

You and most others yes but its not getting any better...plus what if you did have your own and you had the same problem...who's at fault then?

0 Kudos
ols20
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this help and it makes sense it's impossible to isolate the hub from external interference.
I do have the hub placed in the best spot possible.
It's in the hall on a wooden cabinet with no other devices near apart from the electricity meter.
It used to be in the lounge near the TV and although the signal generally improved when I moved it, the speed didn't.

It seems most of you are in agreement that I have an obsolete router so I'm hoping virgin will update this.

Thanks again
richtea2014
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

We have had the same experience of frequently (nearly always) almost non-existent wi-fi from our old Superhub, no matter where we are in the house.  I do believe that the Superhub is the problem, but having read many posts, I am not sure that an updated one will solve the problem.  Even so, I think we have to try the latest version.  I would appreciate any help to make this happen.

Thanks

0 Kudos