Menu
hekman
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

External IP switching between SKY and VM...?

So, I've been having intermittent packet loss for the past few days. Strangely, last night when I logged into my Super Hub's web interface, I was greeted with a Sky Hub interface with all of my devices (including wired connections) connected to it!

Tonight, I've had a bit more time to so some troubleshooting, and noticed that whilst I was doing speed tests, the speedtest-cli kept telling me I was coming through Sky's network. "Odd," I thought! So I did some more testing...

pi@raspberrypi:~$ while true; do curl v4.ifconfig.co && sleep 10; done
92.238.XXX.XXX
94.0.XXX.XXX
94.0.XXX.XXX
92.238.XXX.XXX
94.0.XXX.XXX
94.0.XXX.XXX

As you'll see, this is a very odd thing - external address changing every 10 seconds?

The 94 address is a SKY address, and the 92 is a Virgin address...

Anybody else seen this type of behavior?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: External IP switching between SKY and VM...?

Hi hekman,

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see that you have been having trouble with your connection. 

It sounds like you may be connecting to an un-secure sky connection. 

Double check your wireless settings to be sure you are connected to the correct device and let us know how you get on. 

All the best. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You have HomePlugs don't you?

hekman
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I have a powerline Netgear wifi extender that I use to extend the wifi into my loft. I disabled them that night and the problem went away. Somehow I must have been picking up a neighbor's powerline signal and routes were being injected into my network.

Very strange, since I was still connected to my SuperHub's wifi, and the raspberry pi was connected via ethernet directly through the Super Hub...

Anyway, I've factory reset those Netgears and made doubly sure they were running in Secure mode and I haven't had any issues since.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi hekman,

Thanks for keeping us updated. 

I am glad to see things are looking better for you now Smiley Happy

If you need us to take a look at anything else in the future let us know and we will always be more than happy to help out. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos