Menu
Gotaspareticket
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Extending wifi network wirelessly with an AirPort Extreme

I have an AirPort Extreme that we were using with our previous DSL connection.

Since connecting to Virgin, we've been happy to use the Superhub 3.0 as a wireless server but have part of the house that it doesn't reach. (The AE doesn't reach either, now or in the past).

I know there are various ways to extend the network to cover those areas but, to save money, it'd be great to use the AirPort Extreme. It's to far away to run cabling so does anyone now if I can extend the network using the AE bridging wirelessly with the main network.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extending wifi network wirelessly with an AirPort Extreme

hiya @Gotaspareticket welcome to the virginmedia community forum, 1 way would be to use a pair of homeplugs and have the AE on the end of the homeplug, you can get homeplugs with built in wifi a few of my fellow superusers advise using devolo homeplugs they aren't the cheapest option, if using another brand make sure they are atleast av2 / 1200+

so setup would be hub --> Ethernet cable to power socket (homeplug) -> internal power cables ---(other room) --> homeplug -> Ethernet to AE

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's still best to run CAT5e cable between the Hub3 and AirPort Extreme. Anything else will lose you some speed. CAT5e cable comes in 300m (1000ft) reels!

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Using quality CAT 5 Cabling, good wiring practices and no EMI problems, the maximum recommended transmission line length between nodes for 10BaseT and 100TX is 100 Meters (about 329 feet). For Gigabit wiring using 1000BaseT operating at 350MHz, the limitation is 82 feet or there abouts.

just to add further when using homeplugs and access points you will reduce speed possible upto 50% or even more depending on quality of internal power cables/noise etc.. before it even gets to the wifi between devices.
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Gotaspareticket
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys - all helpful stuff and I had thought about using powerlines, etc. which I think will work.

Ideally though, I was hoping to link them without any cabling, in the same way that you can link Apple routers to each other. 

Is there any way that could be done? 

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is correct advice you are receiving. Using your AE as a range extender is documented and a Google search will reveal the method. But you will be disappointed. The AE must be within the range of the Hub 3 and, of course in range of the target destination. The speed you'll get will be no greater than half what you would get directly from the Hub 3 and probably much less because of the distance there might be between Hub 3 and AE.

Powerline adapters avoid laying Ethernet cable. Trust me - I'm deep into the WiFi business, professionally.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Gotaspareticket
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If I extend the network using the AE connected by powerline adapters, can I assign the same network name and password to the extending router? Would there be a conflict or would devices simply find the stronger signal?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

don't see why not, if you set them to the same SSID (wireless name)/security so when you move around the property it will use the strongest wifi signal without the need to disconnect/reconnect