Menu
Crocks
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Extend wifi to garden office from Virgin hub

Please help as this must be a relatively common issue. 

I have a garden room/ office, out of reach from the home wifi signal, in which I have installed a TP-Link Wireless N Access Point (TL-WA801ND) to provide wifi in that room.  It is wired directly via a 25m long cat 6 ethernet cable to a yellow port at the back of the Virgin media hub 3.0 (located in my home).  

I set the access point up as Is this correct?  Should I have done anything differently? I set the access point up in 'access point' mode - should this be 'Repeater mode' or another format? 

I was expecting super fast data speeds in garden room but it is slow/poor.  The access point is a 300 mbps device and with the direct connection to the hub I do not know why the data speeds are so slow. 

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extend wifi to garden office from Virgin hub

sounds like its setup correctly.

What speeds do you get if you connect directly to the wire.

Prob worth getting a wifi scanning app for your phone to see what sort of signal you have an if its conflicting with any other nearby channels.

What speed is the connection syncing with the wifi signal at?

what data speeds are you getting? and where are these data speeds from and to and how are you testing them?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

i would be leaving the access point in standard modes, since repeater take the wifi signal from the hub and retransmits it making the wifi extremely sow, to help rule out a few things best to start from basics:
when you plug direct into hub do you get a good speed if you do move onto next step
attach pc/laptop to the cat6 cable and re-test speed if ok
attach pc/laptop to access point and re-test speed
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Crocks
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Steve,
things seem to settle down yesterday. I was getting (on wifi) 45mbps download and 6.3mbps upload compared to house (on wifi) 95 mbps download and 6.35 upload.
I need to check the wire speed by plugging a laptop onto ethernet cable and running a test.
Do you think the above makes sense? Is 6.30mbps upload satisfactory ?

0 Kudos