Menu
funkyjive
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Every SpeedTest shows15-16mbps DL speed (wired), paying for 100mbps

Virgin used to be great (e.g. 40-50+mbps on a 60mbps service). However, I am paying for 100mbps service but the speed is attrocious in my area (Cambridge). In recent speed tests at different times, I can never get more than 16mbps on a wired connection.

Interestingly, the Modem WAN activity light is *constantly* flashing at full rate - even with all my equipment turned off. Does this mean an overcrowded network connection and an under-invested network, or is there a system or Modem issue? It certainly isn't my high-end business laptop or any other system on my network showing the same speeds, and more than £37/month for broadband only is far from value for money.

0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Every SpeedTest shows15-16mbps DL speed (wired), paying for 100mbps

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

funkyjive wrote:

Virgin used to be great (e.g. 40-50+mbps on a 60mbps service). However, I am paying for 100mbps service but the speed is attrocious in my area (Cambridge). In recent speed tests at different times, I can never get more than 16mbps on a wired connection.

Interestingly, the Modem WAN activity light is *constantly* flashing at full rate - even with all my equipment turned off. Does this mean an overcrowded network connection and an under-invested network, or is there a system or Modem issue? It certainly isn't my high-end business laptop or any other system on my network showing the same speeds, and more than £37/month for broadband only is far from value for money.

The modem flashing light is the subject of many a thread and can be researched by searching the Community under the term "flashing".  Long and short of it is that it reflects all the traffic arriving at the modem before it is filtered for your unique session security code.  The bottleneck isn't at your modem; it is a node or segment matter - namely congestion at or before the local VM data centre.  Either the optical node in your locality hasn't enough fibres to carry the data at reasonable contention klevel, or the line card at the local data centre is congested and needs a higher spec swap out; sort of thing.

The above applies if there is no line impairment.  If you were to post the modem stats (downstream/upstream power) and the network log we can advise the likelihood of an impairment. You can compare your values with the POWER LEVELS & SNR sticky post.

The VM bods when they get to this thread in about a week's time will let you know if there is area congestion.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
funkyjive
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you kindly for your comprehensive reply to my post.

I'll follow due process and will post the modem stats this evening, trusting that this will be resolved soon. Very happy to pay the price for a decent service, including the recent price increase and accept demand variations, though constantly less than 20% value will need to be resolved.

Kind regards,
Brendan
0 Kudos
omendata
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If its a Superhub 3.0 it because the processor has an anomally as Intel put it and it cannot handle the network buffering and other tasks.

Please check my link i posted it gives more info - the baseline is that the Superhub 3.0 is not fit for the task of shifting more than 25mbps and certainly not up to 100 or 200 mbps!

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

omendata wrote:

If its a Superhub 3.0 it because the processor has an anomally as Intel put it and it cannot handle the network buffering and other tasks.

Please check my link i posted it gives more info - the baseline is that the Superhub 3.0 is not fit for the task of shifting more than 25mbps and certainly not up to 100 or 200 mbps!

Whilst not arguing with anyone over the Intel Puma 6 processor issues, the Hub 3 I have (same as everyone else's) delivers >200Mbps in both Router mode and modem mode (my normal operating mode).  There's plenty of further evidence of that in these forums.

I think the correct guidance to offer concerned users is that if they don't trust anyone to provide a firmware fix if that's what it needs, or a more powerful Atom processor in the Puma 6 (which would require a product recall), then modem mode with own router relieves any stress on the CPU.  In any case the allowed router functions in the VM hubs are so lame (even if they work at all) as to make their hubs fit only for totally unsophisticated users.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos