Menu
Tetrakid653
Settling in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet unrecognised connection on pc.

Hi,i have virgin media and I also have a wired connection to my pc the internet is working but my pc does not recognise the connection that I have connected through wired connection? from the router to the pc,in the connectivity settings on my pc its stated as unrecognised network connection but it works ok but shouldn't it be displaying my router name or my virgin media service provider details on the connection settings display?

if so how do I do this ?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ethernet unrecognised connection on pc.

only thing should show is local area connection connected (internet access). the ethernet connection does send the same details that wifi use to authenticate.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Tetrakid653 wrote:

,in the connectivity settings on my pc its stated as unrecognised network connection but it works ok but shouldn't it be displaying my router name or my virgin media service provider details on the connection settings display?

In Windows for an Ethernet connection it would just give it a generic name by default, for example: 

net.png

WiFi is different and will always list the WiFi network name. Neither Wired or Wireless will list the router modem name as the network name.

If you ever have WiFi connected, then plug in an Ethernet cable at the same time while WiFi is still connected (in Windows) then Windows will name the Ethernet connection to the same as the WiFi network name.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

only thing should show is local area connection connected (internet access). the ethernet connection does send the same details that wifi use to authenticate.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Tetrakid653 wrote:

,in the connectivity settings on my pc its stated as unrecognised network connection but it works ok but shouldn't it be displaying my router name or my virgin media service provider details on the connection settings display?

In Windows for an Ethernet connection it would just give it a generic name by default, for example: 

net.png

WiFi is different and will always list the WiFi network name. Neither Wired or Wireless will list the router modem name as the network name.

If you ever have WiFi connected, then plug in an Ethernet cable at the same time while WiFi is still connected (in Windows) then Windows will name the Ethernet connection to the same as the WiFi network name.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Tetrakid653
Settling in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your posts,

so its ok to say unrecognised? until I do the wifi and cable recognition i see?

I was just worried it was incorrect and compromisable etc..

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tetrakid653 wrote:

so its ok to say unrecognised? until I do the wifi and cable recognition i see?

I was just worried it was incorrect and compromisable etc..

It shouldn't say unrecognised, but rather some random generic name. That bit of it sounds more like a driver or network card config problem. There's a lot of posts about that online with suggested fixes: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windows+ethernet+unrecognized+network&oq=windows+ethernet+unrecogn...

As you'll see a lot of the people who get that issue lose all Internet access, with the remainder having limited access. You could try some of the fixes, maybe even unplug the Ethernet and reboot. But as the connection is currently working OK, then the operating system failing to ideally name the connection isn't a big issue.

Whenever I've plugged in Ethernet (esp. for the first time for that device for that network) while the WiFi was connected, the WiFi name copied over to the Ethernet connection and it stuck, until I manually changed it. Going with Ethernet for the first connection gets the generic name like 'Network 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9' for the connection if the operating system is behaving itself.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos