Menu
DiscusBT
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet connection failure

In August 2016 I upgraded my broadband service. Virgin supplied a new Super Hub 3.0.  Everything was well until 21st February when my Ethernet connection failed.  Wireless connectivity was OK.  

I reset IPs, cleared the DNS, changed leads, ports and PCs - nothing worked. After a call to support Virgin agreed to replace the Super Hub. I installed the replacement hub the 23rd February.  However, the Ethernet fault persists.

The Ethernet failure is related to Windows 10 and the Virgin hub IP service.  Two of my other connected Windows 10 PCs report the same error. However, my Windows 7 laptop is unaffected.

I need an Ethernet connection for my work. What are Virgin going to do about it?

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet connection failure

If you set a static ip by hand say 192.168.0.128 (or whatever wont clash with your other devices), gateway 192.168.0.1 etc  on the windows machine, can you then ping the hub ?

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet connection failure

The above advice should fix the problem. It was due to a Microsoft update (downdate!) and has happened to many people. Reported here in other posts.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos