Menu
RHA
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet cables

I'm currently setting up a let, with five student rooms on two floors. Is it desirable to have Ethernet cabling to each room? Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
twin--turbo
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ethernet cables

There should be no contention on the switch. The broadband will be 200mbps asynchronous, max. Each port is 1000 full duplex with each port it's own collision domain.

Unless it's a very crappy switch it will be fine.

TT
0 Kudos

All Replies
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

if its not too hard to do...well my daughter hated having to survive using wifi for a couple of days because she forgot to take an ethernet cable with her.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

RHA wrote:

I'm currently setting up a let, with five student rooms on two floors. Is it desirable to have Ethernet cabling to each room? Thanks

Absolutely! And, as the other poster has alluded, perhaps leave a cable or two in the room.  If you're gonna cable to the room, you'll prolly want a central switch close to the router so that you can actually distribute stuff.  However there + and - to consider.  The router will have 4 Ethernet ports.  You've got 5 rooms; one Ethernet port per room maximises throughput potential per room. Five cables from a switch, the switch connected to a single Ethernet port requires a switch that minimises contention when all 5 students are at it streaming.

So there's a bit of thinking to do.  You'll still find students who'll only be interested in wireless and might whinge when the Hub's woreless won't reachthrough a couple of floors and walls.  If you are going to be a dream landlord, you could install Powerline adapters on each floor to broadcast wireless.

Keep us posted on this adventure.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you want to go the whole hog, I would put two Ethernet connections in each room and one wireless Access Point per floor, all wired back to a 16 port switch next to the router. You could also possibly turn off the wiresless on the router.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

if you want since easy to manage wireless look at the Unifi. I been installing them for years. i now have over 20 in 3 buildings
0 Kudos
twin--turbo
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There should be no contention on the switch. The broadband will be 200mbps asynchronous, max. Each port is 1000 full duplex with each port it's own collision domain.

Unless it's a very crappy switch it will be fine.

TT
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Exactly. Avoid a crappy switch and you'll minimise contention.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
RHA
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for the sensible responses guys. I'll discuss the options with the electrician tomorrow before he rewrites theplace.

Much appreciated!

0 Kudos