Menu
BigJim01
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Enormous levels of Jitter and pings over 3000ms - Haelp!

Hi, having a bit of a ‘mare and need a little help in terms of getting through to the network support side of Virgin Media. I’ve got to break out of the cycle of helpline + engineer visit = nothing wrong. Last visit from an engineer I explained the problem and he agreed not to close the ticket as unresolved and request a network team call back, and whilst I sit by the phone it never rings … its been a few days now ;-)

In short For the last 6 weeks or so I’ve been suffering form epic jitter on my connection at what I assume are peak times. Back in the day it was all sub 20ms pings, however now its all over the place with a ping round trip time of up to and exceeding 3000ms along with a smattering of dropped packets.

Looks like it’s a simple over utilization to me but what do I know … could be something more exotic.  traceroutes seemto show this manifesting on the first couple of hops out from my router.

I’m fully cat 6 wired up in my place, so no dirty slow wireless allowed ;-)

Here is my ping –t to bbc from Sunday (20th) evening

bbc.png

Here is the think broadband external monitor graph for the same period

TBB.PNG

The outage that can be seen was when an engineer was poking about.

As for my Routers Stats

Upstream

up.PNG

Downstream

down.PNG

Activity Log

That last activity is resets when on phone to help desk … turn it on/off and then later an engineer doing the same...

Any help or advice on how to get to somebody who can help much appreciated!

Jamie

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Enormous levels of Jitter and pings over 3000ms - Haelp!

taking 12pm - 2pm out of the equation, thats a classic BQM from a connection in an area suffering from overutilisation.

Were you doing anything that would saturate your upstream around 12-2?

Power levels are fine, if you've run trace routes and your seeing latency on the first few hops....its overutilisation.

If you wait staff will pick it up and run some diagnostics their end, but I dont see anything there that could be "fixed" to help...

spoons33
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Do you have a laptop you can use to connect wirelessly and perform the same tracert and ping tests with, this will rule out your ethernet wired device being the culprit as vm like to pass the buck when they can. If you get the same ping and tracert results using a wireless connection I would suspect you may have a faulty router. They should at least swap it out for you.
BigJim01
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey, thanks for your rapid responses and thoughts.  I', not really doing any streaming or downloading over the weekend and usually make sure no background processes are doing anything.   I usually take a look at the data transfer rates on the virgin router and validate that nothing heavy is happening...

I have been paying attention to the ping to the first hop on traceroute's (i.e. the router and its typically <1ms) ...

I have used my iphone to do ad hoc ping tests, over wireless, its generally the same or worst ...

I'll try and do a compare and contrast all the same.

Any idea I get to speak to network focused support team though?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

BigJim01 wrote:

Any idea I get to speak to network focused support team though?

Once staff on here pick it up, if there's anything networks can do it gets passed across to them.

BigJim01
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A handful of wireless pings standing next to the router to rule out internal network issues

image1.PNGimage2.PNGimage3.PNGimage4.PNG

Then some cheeky traceroutes to hitting the first couple of virgin media nodes after my router...  not good and it'll only get worse.

trace first 2 virgin hops.png

I'd love to be able to play a bit of online multiplayer :-(

0 Kudos
spoons33
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I play iracing and over the last week I am loosing so many packets I'm getting kicked out of games, an engineer is calling tomorrow, should be interesting

0 Kudos
BigJim01
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear you are having similar problems ... I think the engineers "I'll get you referred to network team" assertion was probably just to get me to stop banging on and let him go home :-(

I'll maybe give the helpdesk one more shot at putting me through to somebody who can help and then just get me an old ADSL2 from somebody else ... having my package price go up 10% was a bit of a kick in the teeth really.

Thanks to all those well wishers / guru's who shared their thoughts.

0 Kudos
BigJim01
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Oh my...

B7ADA1AB-E872-433F-A084-6CB623B3790E-2193-000003FD84C6032E_tmp.png

from external monitoring

IMG_0309.PNGIMG_0310.PNG

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi BigJim01, 

Welcome to the forums, I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with ping. 

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side. 

I can see there was a small issue with SNR around the time you originally posted but this has now settled. I can't see any slow speed issues affecting your connection currently. 

How have things been since you posted last? 

Are you seeing any difference in the connection or is it about the same? 

If you are still having trouble please pop the hub intomodem only mode and the computer into safe mode with networking and let us know if this makes a difference. 

It would also help to see a fresh BQM graph . 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos