Menu
LifeOfRyan10
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Engineer has piggybacked/split neighbors connection in order to install my broadband

Hi, I had my broadband installed on 23rd of December, and although it has been working great so far, no problems with speed and stability etc, as the subject line states the engineer, rathr than instaling a new indenpedant line to my property, he has split the cable from my neighbour who lives below (block of flats) and they have since said that they are now getting issues with their services since my installation was carried out, surely it isn't normal practice to piggyback the connection?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Engineer has piggybacked/split neighbors connection in order to install my broadband

all the green box is is a big spliter all the people on the box are split from one line. It doesn't better where it was split.

They will need to report the fault and book an engineer to look. its possible its the problem or it might not be. only a engineer will know
LifeOfRyan10
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Engineer has piggybacked/split neighbors connection in order to install my broadband

Is this info here incorrect then? https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Virgin-have-split-neighbours-cable-...

" on ‎14-02-2016 12:55

adacom wrote:

.....the piggyback should be temporary but reading other threads on here they have a habit of becoming permanent - it should not affect your BB though

Indeed as a "properly installed" piggyback with it's own individual isolators that has been "correctly balanced" will work as well as an individual street drop..... BUT.....

although that's functionally equivalent to "cable pit Tap" or Street Cab splitters on congested Tap board then it's bad practise across adjoining properties because:

As stated levels in both properties have to be balanced correctly.
The property cabling is thus not as secure as mainline ducted cabling. Thus damage can be cause on either property that is likely to affect the other party.
If either party defaults on their Bill and or are injecting any noise then VM will simply disco(or 50dB blocker) from Pit or Cab and obviously an innocent party is also subsequently affected! Smiley Sad
That's also means VM tech (even when installing/changing CPE in either property) will undoubtedly have to trespass in order to check both omniboxes if a new install or issue arises. Unless both parties are present/available at the same time? Smiley Tongue

Messy! Get rid ASAP.

LEGALLY (which is out-of-scope for this website) then seek independent professional advice ASAP when you don't have a legal WAYLEAVE in place as this could potentially cause you(or neighbour) a nightmare in the future if either houseowner moves. If either of you "sell" then a competent surveyor (depending on type of survey/package and legal statutes in place at the time) will flag this for solicitor to check appropriate WAYLEAVES.

As you now know you have a potential issue and fail to disclose this to any future purchaser and it's discovered at a later date then you lay yourself open to possible litigation/damages. WORSTCASE (unlikely scenario in practise unless of course it was me buying either property! ;p ) but "GET RID" of the problem ASAP. "
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hey LifeOfRyan10,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the problems with your install, I'd like to look into this for you and get it resolved.

So we can keep in touch, I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right).

Speak with you very soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Well spotted LifeOfRyan1- excellent post by adacom.

The PM procedure is no surprise even though there will be interest in the outcome should you wish to give updates.

LifeOfRyan10
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No problem i shall keep you all updated so that this thread can be referred to in the future.
0 Kudos
LifeOfRyan10
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just to let anyone know who was following this, after requesting to have my own line, I have now had one installed and no longer piggy backign from the neighbours, so im happy and neighbours are happy Smiley Happy although im fairly convinced if i hadn't of raised this issue and without the brilliant Heather's assistance, it would have remained the same as the the engineer who did the initial install left no notes or indications anywhere on my account that the split was only ever meant to be temporary.

0 Kudos