Menu
sigmeg
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Echo Dot connectivity and compatibility issues with SuperHub 2 router

Hi all,

This post is to relate my experience with the Amazon Echo Dot with a Virgin SuperHub 2, my issues, experiments and ultimately a working solution.

My SuperHub 2 (SH2) has been working mostly fine for a couple of years now, requires an occasional restart but is generally stable. About 2 weeks ago I acquired the Echo Dot from Amazon. Connectivity was a bit fiddly but it worked perfectly and the Dot was extremely responsive. That was until I paired the Dot with a bluetooth speaker. All of the sudden the wireless network fell over and the Dot became very unreliable. As soon as I connected the Dot to a bluetooth speaker, the quality of the quality of the wireless signal in the house would drop massively to a point it wasn't really usable for any devices (PC, tablet, phones and Dot). I then tried the following changes, all resulting in no improvement to the issue at all:

1. Used a Bose sound mini bluetooth speaker much closer to the dot
  2. Tried a dedicated Guest network
  3. Tried both 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Slightly puzzled I decided to experiment further with a friend and tested the Echo Dot connected to a bluetooth speaker in different network environments:

1. Tried at a friend with Sky/O2 broadband and it worked perfectly
  2. Tried in the office, no issues
  3. Tried at a friend with BT broadband , perfect results
  4. Tried at a friend with Virgin SH2 router The exact same problem was experienced
  5. Tried at another friend with a Virgin SH2 ac model and to our surprise this was working perfectly.

After reading in the Virgin Community forums about other people with similar issues, it became clearer that the issue might well be with the SH2 router. I rang Virgin and talked to a very friendly and helpful Frank. He immediately recognised the experiment was pretty conclusive. We tried a couple of settings on the router, none of these helped:

1. Assigned a static IP to the Dot
  2. Put the Dot in a DMZ

As the SH2ac is not available, Frank got a SH3 dispatched to me and I promised I would relate my results here. I'm delighted to report that since installing the SH3, my Echo Dot is working perfectly. I can now stream music to any bluetooth speaker without affecting the wireless network. The Dot remains totally responsive.

Please note I had to reboot the Dot after connecting to the SH3 as I was expecting massive dropouts. I had read in another thread that a SH3 users had connectivity issues initially that were solved after rebooting the Dot. That worked for me too and has been very stable for a few days now.

Conclusion: If you are using a SH2 and are expecting wireless issues when connecting a Dot to a bluetooth speaker, request a SH3.

Good luck!

Siegfried

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Echo Dot connectivity and compatibility issues with SuperHub 2 router

Hi Siegfried,

Thank you for getting in touch,  I am sorry to see that you have had trouble with your Echo Dot connectivity. 

I am glad to see that the connection of the SH3 has resolved the issue it is good to know this in case we come across this type of issue again. 

If you do need any help in the future let us know and we'll be more than happy to take a look for you. 

All the best. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
paulwads
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This is the exact problem I am experiencing. I've been on the phone to support twice this evening, last time to do a factory reset of my SH2, alas the problem still exists.
It looks like I could do with a router replacement also. I never realised connecting to a Bluetooth speaker could cause such wireless problems.
0 Kudos
sigmeg
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I know it sounds pretty counter-intuitive but there clearly is an incompatibility between the 2 devices. I've not had a single issue with the SH3, nor did my friend who also upgraded. Let us know how you get on.

bowercarl
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So glad I found this forum, am experiencing EXACTLY the same things since Friday, when I connected the BT speaker. Is there a specific number I can call to request a SH3 or do I have to go through all the same troubleshooting?

regards

Carl

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

sigmeg wrote:

I know it sounds pretty counter-intuitive but there clearly is an incompatibility between the 2 devices. I've not had a single issue with the SH3, nor did my friend who also upgraded. Let us know how you get on.

it is likely that the dot is broadcasting bluetooth audio on a 2.4GHz frequency that clashed with / overpowered the hub's own wifi

you have it sorted now but changing the hub wifi channel would have been worth a try otherwise, Or indeed if the problem ever returns

google bluetooth interference with wifi

0 Kudos
paulwads
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Update: There seems to a problem with setting up the Echo Dot on the 5GHz channel, where Bluetooth is concerned. I contacted support again on Saturday to say I was having trouble, but the chap insisted that it was purely down to the channel. I tried changing a different 5GHz frequency again, same result - connected for a while, then both 5GHz and 2.4GHz drop out completely until I reboot the router. Anyway, decided to contact Customer Relations this time. I asked if I could have a Super Hub 3 and they said yes! There is a one off small charge, but the SH3 should be arriving tomorrow.

0 Kudos
sigmeg
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Changing the channel was one of the first thing I tried, sorry I omitted that. Used Wifi Analyser to find a quiet channel range. It definitely improved the quality of the 2.4GHz network but did not resolve the connectivity with the Dot. We're not simply talking timeouts/dropouts here, we're seeing total loss of service.
nbryson
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This is really just a "me too" post. Exactly the same issue. Spoke with first line support, tried static ip, changing channel but no joy. Works on my upstairs router just fine but the SH2 keeps dropping out and the router needs to be restarted to restore wireless connectivity.

I've been told by CS that because they can't see a problem with the router, I need to pay the £15 delivery for a SH3. I'll probably just bite the bullet and pay up but I'm a bit annoyed. Free delivery would have been a nice gesture considering that others are experiencing the problem and it's specific to the SH2 hardware. Not to mention we've been VM customers for some time...
0 Kudos
nbryson
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I decided against the SH3 upgrade and went out and bought an ASUS RT-N66U router. Figured if I'm going to spend money on this, I might as well get something decent. I put the SH2 into modem mode, set up the ASUS and lo and behold no more problems with the dot and the bluetooth speaker. This is definitely an option worth considering for anyone who's in the same boat.

0 Kudos