Menu
AdamM200001
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Download Speed Dropped!

Hey there i am new here. I noticed a long time ago my download speed was 50m now its 28! I really need this fixed  i pay every month for nothing basically. The internet became very leggy and slow. Please help

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Download Speed Dropped!

OK, that shows that the internet speed isn't the problem but your wireless signal.  It could be a faulty router or it could just be the distance from the router.

Hopefully someone from Virgin Media will respond to this post next week with a suggestion/solution.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are getting headline speeds whilst connected directly to the all the time including evening peak periods then it looks like a wireless issue.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

You can extend the wireless  network to overcome range / obstacles  using powerline adapters.

0 Kudos

All Replies
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How are you checking your download speed ? - Are you using a speed test site ?

Also, when running the speed test are you running it from a device connected via cable and not wireless, and making sure no other devices are connected ?

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
TrooperUK22
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've got exactly the same problem in Area 04. Been bad for at least 3 months.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Constant-slow-speeds-for-3-months-on-150mb-contra...

Dagboy
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My download speed is about 109 every morning, starts to drop during the afternoon, and is down to between 3 and 10 by the evening, totally unacceptable when you most need it. My package includes download speed of 100.

Virgin tell me that the fault is known and common to the whole local area (Worcester Park) and won't be fixed until end March.  Anyone else experiencing this problem?

0 Kudos
AdamM200001
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah no other devices are connected to my internet just my Laptop. I used this website to check http://www.speedtest.net

and thats my download speed http://prntscr.com/ed85ch

I took my laptop right by the hub thats why its around 39. But when i am upstairs it is like 25 but it used to be 50 

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You could always try it via a cable (if you have one) as that will show the true speed.

If it is occurring only at peak times it may be due to congestion in your area.

-

AdamM200001
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah the yellow cable. I tried with that the speed is back to normal. But i would like to use my laptop up in my room not sit down by the cable.

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK, that shows that the internet speed isn't the problem but your wireless signal.  It could be a faulty router or it could just be the distance from the router.

Hopefully someone from Virgin Media will respond to this post next week with a suggestion/solution.

-

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are getting headline speeds whilst connected directly to the all the time including evening peak periods then it looks like a wireless issue.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

You can extend the wireless  network to overcome range / obstacles  using powerline adapters.

0 Kudos
mobungo
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem.paying for 70mb and lucky to get 5 during peak time.This is totally un acceptable as Virgin told me the issue would be rectified 24th Feb.Been going on since last November and i keep getting a new date when it will be sorted ...Prob ring them tonight for them to tell me that there is a known problem and will be fixed say end of March or what ever date they can pluck from the sky .