Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5 (4,531 Views)

Does anyone know how to get a static IP address?

I'm trying to set up a very complicated camera system and I've been instructed to get a static IP but this seems difficult to do! Any ideas? I have tried phoning virgin but no one there can help Smiley Sad
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 2 of 5 (8,865 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gemma2
‎28-08-2015 00:15

Re: Does anyone know how to get a static IP address?

As I understand it static IP addresses are not available on the VM residential service. They are available on the VM business service but that comes with restrictions on the use of the modem (modem mode only).

The IP addresses on the residential service are "sticky". They tend not to change often (often for couple of years).

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 3 of 5 (8,855 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gemma2

hiya @Gemma2 its possible they mean to configure a static ip address on the camera, rather than the external IP address (eg ip address used for internet access), as my fellow superuser posted your external IP address very rarely changes, you could use a 3rd party router using eg ddns http://www.noip.com/free so rather than trying to access your camera via http://82.12.12.12:8080 also with the virginmedia hub doesnt support DDNS

hope this helps, if you need further support just post back
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5 (8,846 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gemma2

I'm probably completely misunderstanding something here but if all he wants to do is set up a static IP address for the camera, surely this can be done within the SuperHub using the camera's mac address in the reservation table in DHCP settings?

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5 (8,833 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gemma2

[ Edited ]

I've had a camera system running successfully for three years. It needs a static IP for access from outside. But the only time the Virgin IP has changed has been when the router was replaced, or changed from router to modem mode.

When the address changes it's a simple matter to update the address in the remote device. 

You will have to set up port forwarding in the router, and you may need advice on that. A good place for help with CCTV is: http://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/alarms-cctv-telephones/

BTW don't bother with cheap cameras bought from high street stores - they are a waste of money. The cameras and DVR/NVR need to work at a resolution of 1080p or better to be of use. I can speak from experience on this as my cameras put two burglars in jail and I had to give evidence in court.

Good luck!   

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 5 (8,866 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gemma2

As I understand it static IP addresses are not available on the VM residential service. They are available on the VM business service but that comes with restrictions on the use of the modem (modem mode only).

The IP addresses on the residential service are "sticky". They tend not to change often (often for couple of years).

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 3 of 5 (8,856 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gemma2

hiya @Gemma2 its possible they mean to configure a static ip address on the camera, rather than the external IP address (eg ip address used for internet access), as my fellow superuser posted your external IP address very rarely changes, you could use a 3rd party router using eg ddns http://www.noip.com/free so rather than trying to access your camera via http://82.12.12.12:8080 also with the virginmedia hub doesnt support DDNS

hope this helps, if you need further support just post back
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5 (8,847 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gemma2

I'm probably completely misunderstanding something here but if all he wants to do is set up a static IP address for the camera, surely this can be done within the SuperHub using the camera's mac address in the reservation table in DHCP settings?

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5 (8,834 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gemma2

[ Edited ]

I've had a camera system running successfully for three years. It needs a static IP for access from outside. But the only time the Virgin IP has changed has been when the router was replaced, or changed from router to modem mode.

When the address changes it's a simple matter to update the address in the remote device. 

You will have to set up port forwarding in the router, and you may need advice on that. A good place for help with CCTV is: http://www.diynot.com/diy/forums/alarms-cctv-telephones/

BTW don't bother with cheap cameras bought from high street stores - they are a waste of money. The cameras and DVR/NVR need to work at a resolution of 1080p or better to be of use. I can speak from experience on this as my cameras put two burglars in jail and I had to give evidence in court.

Good luck!   

0 Kudos