Menu
DarrenSto
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Devices randomly unable to connect to WiFi on Superhub 2

Hi all,

I've called 150 to report this issue but the operators I've spoken to have been terrible! Both were either pig ignorant (kept telling me I'm wrong etc) or simply didn't understand a word of English.

A bit of background - I'm a dual CCNP certified Network Engineer for one of the UK's largest education providers. I have 14 years' experience in IT. I live with my partner and our 3 children. We have 9 devices with the capability of connecting to our Superhub 2 wirelessly at any given time, plus 4 wired devices in case that's relevant.

The issue I have is that at seemingly random intervals, one or two wireless devices will lose connection to the Superhub and will not reconnect until i physically reboot the unit by hitting the power button on the back.

We have 3 Android tablets, 2 Android phones, 1 Windows Mobile 8.1 phone, 2 iPads and a WD TV Live media player connected wirelessly (but rarely used and usually powered off when the issue occurs). There is also a PC, NAS drive and Smart TV patched into the Ethernet ports on the back of the SuperHub.

The problem is not isolated to a specific device. For example, the issue occurred earlier this morning and only my daughter's Android tablet couldn't connect. Last time it happened it was my iPad failing to connect.. I should stress that all other devices, wireless or wired, generally remain unaffected when this problem occurs. It's very inconvenient having to reboot the entire Superhub just to get one device working.

Power cycling the affected devices doesn't fix them, nor does assigning a IP address manually or forgetting and re-adding the wireless network. Only a manual reset of the router resolves the problem.

I have also noticed that most of the time when the issue occurs, I cannot get to the Superhub GUI via web browser to issue a reboot from there. Hence the need to physically hit the button.

My Superhub has both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios enabled. I have used a Wi-Spy and Chanalyzer Pro to make sure both radios are on the least congested channels in the area and there's no interference from external sources. The internet connection itself is rock solid and extremely reliable - my wired devices never have issues and I've seen results from speedtest.net exceed 200Mbps downstream before.

All wireless devices are 5GHz capable but some fail back to 2.4Ghz by design (i.e; for better range). The SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz are the same so end devices only present the user with one network irrespective of the band and channel they utilize. All devices are configured to use WPA2-AES

I've also done wireless captures to try to diagnose what's going wrong. I can see that the initial EAPoL handshake fails due to the AP not sending a .11 association response. i can, however, still disconnect and reconnect the other clients at will. The problem only affects a random device and remains until the hub is power cycled.
Due to all of this, my belief is that there is an issue or bug with my Superhub or its firmware. However as I mentioned previously, Virgin customer services are extremely unhelpful and are adamant that if other devices are working there can't be an issue with the router itself.

A couple of weeks ago I borrowed a Meraki access point from work, configured the same wireless network settings and plugged it into the Superhub, then disabled both radios on the Superhub. For a good few weeks we had no issues. I've had to take it back now though, so I'm back to using the Superhub again and back to experiencing these random disconnects.

I appreciate I'm probably asking a lot of the equipment compared to most customers, however Virgin Media's marketing claims the Superhub 2 can support 20 devices before serious performance degradation.

Please could someone advise how to get a replacement sent out without having to go through the long-winded process of speaking to customer services?

Any questions or clarification just shout up.

Many thanks,

Darren

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Devices randomly unable to connect to WiFi on Superhub 2

Hi Darren,

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to our Forum, I'm glad you've sought us out for help with this Smiley Happy

I have read carefully through your post and have also tested your connection. In all honesty it is highly unlikely that a network or external fault would cause your Wi-Fi disconnects but I checked to make sure (nothing untoward showed up).

If you haven't already done so, please try out the advice from the below links:

Getting the best wireless signal.

Restoring Super Hub 2 to factory default settings.

If the above don't help please read my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) for further support Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

DarrenSto
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

Thanks for your reply.

The wireless signal strength is generally great all throughout the house.

I have performed a factory reset which doesn't seem to have helped. I think it's just the Hub struggling with the number of devices.

I have read your PM and will give that a go.

Once again, many thanks,

Darren

0 Kudos
Sopo
Joining in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi

This is also happening to us. Have you had any success in a solution?
0 Kudos
DarrenSto
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yes and no.

I've been sent a new Virgin Hub 3 to replace my SH2. While the hub has fixed the WiFi issue (and given me 802.11ac in the process), the Hub 3 itself is terrible.

- Can't change the LAN IP address range. You HAVE to use 192.168.0.0/24

- Can't use a my old wireless password because it won't accept WPA2 keys more than ~9 characters in length.

- Web GUI is painfully slow and shows the login password in clear text.

- UPnP doesn't work properly.

- Turning off WPS doesn't actually turn off WPS.

- Cannot turn off DHCP.

Hopefully VM can issue a firmware update or something to alleviate some of this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

There is a firmware to fix (most of) the issues you have mentioned. It should be released when the Chucle Brothers have finished it writing it in the near future.

DarrenSto
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hope so. The unit itself performs well - speed test results are the same as with the SH2 when hard wired.
0 Kudos
Sopo
Joining in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I was on the phone for about an hour to support and they run a lot of tests of which there was still issues. Some items connecting some not. They then set up a separate guest wifi setting with different setting which seems more stable at the moment and so there are some devices on the original and some on the new. None seem to work on the 5g connection. So I will see how it goes for a bit. My suspicion will be eventually an engineer will need to come out. But for now peace reigns as all devices are finally connected. Thank you for the quick reply.
0 Kudos
Phileas_Froggy
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Darren

Has the updated Hub 3 firmware fixed these issues ? Do you regret the Superhub 2 or will you stick with the Hub 3 ?
0 Kudos
DarrenSto
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Firmware still hasn't been updated on the Hub 3 as far as I can tell. All the issues I previously mentioned still exist.

On top of that, I have to reboot the Hub 3 every couple of days since my connection speed drops right down to virtually nothing. The thing is absolutely dire. I wish I'd kept the Superhub 2.

It's so bad I'm actually considering my options. It's woeful how one of the country's largest ISPs can't provide a piece of hardware capable of delivering their service.