Menu
deans6571
Super solver
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Decent WiFi from Superhub?

I currently have a Superhub 1 (yes, I know it's an old bit of kit!!) in Modem mode connected to VM's own D-Link 615 router on a 100Mb connection. 

Tomorrow, I'm calling VM to make some changes to my account : get my speed boost (I'm eligible for the 150Mb speed) and also upgrade my TiVo to the new V6 box. 

So my question is this : if I am offered a Superhub 2 or a Superhub 3, is the wifi on each of these devices better than if I was to put them into Modem modem and attach a separate router (specifically this router : ASUS RT-N66U 802.11a/b/g/n Dual Band 450 Mbps Multimedia Ultra Slim Gigabit Wireless Rou... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007W16SMO/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_y5Uuyb...)?

Helpful Answers
Tsar
Up to speed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Decent WiFi from Superhub?

SH2 here. The wifi performance is fairly appalling. 

Would find it astonishing if the SH2 or 3 works better in router mode than in modem mode with the ASUS  router.

What I would do is get the SH2 or 3 and run in router mode. If dissatisfied buy the ASUS and try that.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would concur with the advice given by Tsar.

Compared to the Superhub 1, both Superhub 2s and the Hub 3.0 have good wifi capability.

I have had both the Superhub 2 and currently the Hub 3.0 and both give good wifi access throughout my house.

I would think you'll get either the Superhub 2ac or Hub 3.0 and should initially try either in Router Mode before spending money on a separate router.

All Replies
deans6571
Super solver
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So my question is this : if I am offered a Superhub 2 or a Superhub 3, is the wifi on each of these devices better than if I was to put them into Modem mode and attach a separate router (specifically this router : ASUS RT-N66U 802.11a/b/g/n Dual Band 450 Mbps Multimedia Ultra Slim Gigabit Wireless Rou... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007W16SMO/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_y5Uuyb...)?

deans6571
Super solver
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

.....no wifi gurus in the forum today then?! 

Smiley Indifferent

Tsar
Up to speed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

SH2 here. The wifi performance is fairly appalling. 

Would find it astonishing if the SH2 or 3 works better in router mode than in modem mode with the ASUS  router.

What I would do is get the SH2 or 3 and run in router mode. If dissatisfied buy the ASUS and try that.

deans6571
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Anyone else have any views on this ? How about someone from VM?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would concur with the advice given by Tsar.

Compared to the Superhub 1, both Superhub 2s and the Hub 3.0 have good wifi capability.

I have had both the Superhub 2 and currently the Hub 3.0 and both give good wifi access throughout my house.

I would think you'll get either the Superhub 2ac or Hub 3.0 and should initially try either in Router Mode before spending money on a separate router.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

any of the hubs will get nowhere near the asus - chalk and cheese does not come near - that said any of the later hubs are better than the SH1 - so take what they give you - try it and see if its good enough - if not the the asus is an excellent choice

Tony
deans6571
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate all the reaponses above guys - thank you. 

Smiley Happy