Menu
DavidShush
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Daily Disconnects

Hi, I'm getting disconnected quite frequently, usually daily but can be more often lasting for just a few minutes to almost an hour. This is a problem as I rely on the connection for work and if it ever goes down at a crucial time it can cost me large amounts of money. I dread the day when this happens. I'm posting this now as it just went down as I was securely checking out on a website which could have led to a double order(it's happened in the past).

I use an ethernet cable to connect directly to the "super" hub thingy.

Whenever I connect any device without the cable, like another laptop, tablet, or phone, the disconnects are far more frequent, usually every hour or so. This is only a minor annoyance as it means I get drop outs on Skype and Yahoo Messenger etc.

Both problems have persisted for well over a year despite a couple of engineer visits and replaced hubs.

Please can anyone offer advice on what to do next because despite the great speeds I really prefer reliability and am at the point now where I'm more than happy to find another provider.

Thanks for any replies.

0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Daily Disconnects

Well the disconnects happen when connected via ethernet, so we *should" be able to discount an environmental impact on wifi - but I take it you have tried using a different ethernet cable (I wouldn't expect it to make a difference, but best to make sure)?  The fact things get worse when on wifi may mean that your environment is electrically noisy - have you got any powerful electrical motors nearby (commercial air con units, for example) which may be having an effect?

Next, the fact that you have had the hubs replaced with no improvement suggests that it is not a hub fault - or you have been unlucky.

It does sound to me as if it likely to be a fault on your WAN link - but you would need Virgin to check and confirm that.

I can't provide a solution for you, but there are a couple of things you can do to see if this can be resolved before resorting to changing ISP.

1 - Can you post your router stats (upstream/downstream power levels) from the router screen, don't need to log in, router stats button at the top of the login screen.  If the power levels are wrong, there are people on here who will be able to see that, and the moderators will be able to arrange an engineer visit for you (although that should have been checked at the last visit!)

2 - If you set up a (free) broadband quality monitor (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors.html) then you may be able to see a pattern emerging which may help VM track down a probable cause.

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
DavidShush
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying. I don't think there is anything to interfere with the signal here. If the modem is on then the only other thing that's on is my laptop/phone etc. that is using the connection.

I'm thinking I've been a bit unlucky...or perhaps it's not a problem "this end". Sometimes I can go days with no disconnecting via the ethernet cable. Then all of a sudden day after day will consist of annoying disconnects. Wireless is more consistent with the disconnects as I've said. Drop outs every hour or two. The device I'm typically using is only a few feet from the hub with nothing but air between them. 

This is the last chance for redemption as it's becoming more of a headache than it needs to be. Love the speeds, but I feel the faster it gets the less reliable the connection becomes for me. Take me back to solid 2Mb any day. 

Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)315000000 Hz

Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)32600000 Hz

0 Kudos
DavidShush
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Still getting regular disconnects. Normally a few each day. The lights on the modem change and the blue light goes off before turning green with all lights flashing. It's very frustrating as there have been times where this has happened during the checkout phase of a purchase and has meant I've had to cancel duplicate purchases.

I will post some quality tests to show the high jitter and ping times of the connection even when it's "OK".

If nothing is fixed within the next week or so I will be moving to another company as this is becoming way more hassle than it's worth. I just want the service I'm paying for, nothing more. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi DavidShush, 

Thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear about your regular disconnects with your broadband connection, this can be annoying I know so apologies for any bother.

I have tested things from here and I noticed that your Hub is in an offline state, is this due to it being switched off from your end? If so, please post back here at a time when  it will be on and available for testing.

If it is not due to it being switched off from your end, I will send you a PM (Purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required to proceed with making the booking. Please respond to me there and I'll ensure this all gets booked and secured for you.

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
DavidShush
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying.

I do turn my hub off when I'm sleeping or at work most days but will leave it on as of now to allow any future tests to be done.

This weekend I've experienced at least 3 disconnects so far, one a few moments ago. I don't think it's a problem my end as the modem itself turns a different colour(the big blue Virgin light turns...not blue).

I hope this can be solved in the next couple of weeks as I have upcoming projects and personal events that will require a solid connection. 

0 Kudos
DavidShush
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi, after the engineers visit on Tuesday I'm still getting disconnected. It's happened several times since then, almost an hour after he left and most recently about 10-20 minutes ago very close to when I was making a substantial monetary trading transaction that requires me to be connected or I could potentially lose a lot of money if certain markets change before I reconnect. It's only a matter of time before this happens and as such I need a solution quite quickly.

So far going to a different provider is all I can think of. I'd rather not do that but I feel it's rapidly approaching that time.

Thank you for all your help so far.

0 Kudos
DavidShush
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Still getting disconnects. I notice I still get the "my bill is ready" email. If you had the same efficiency providing me with a reliable service as you do taking my money then perhaps I wouldn't be planning a move to another provider. 

0 Kudos
DavidShush
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Trying to work from home keep getting disconnected. This is frustrating and if it continues will be costing me money. As such I wish to cancel my direct debits as of now and will be calling my bank via my very reliable mobile phone network. I will then be taking out a subscription for their broadband. At this point they can't be worse than Virgin Media. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi there DavidShush,

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

Really sorry to hear that you're still having problems, even after the engineer has been to see you.

Looking at your Superhub, everything is looking good at the moment. Are you having disconnections on your wireless, hard-wired connection or both? Also are you feeling the drop-outs on multiple devices or is this just affecting one specific device?

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos