Menu
arnie4687
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

DNS server not responding

Had Virgin Broadband, Family XL bundle 200meg since late December. Everything OK. Broadband connection stable and good speed. last week or so connection drops out could be a few minutes or an hour or so after switch on. PC is hardwired  through Devolo powerline socket. PC shows broadband is connected but when I run diagnostics it gives error message DNS server not responding. A work around is I do a network reset but this is very temporary.  Anybody with a solution please

Thanks

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: DNS server not responding

probably not the ideal solution, but set the dns settings on your pc to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 instead of auto.

I don't know if its possible to set the routers to alternative dns settings as I use mine in modem mode, but from general comments on the hubs abilities I guess not.

arnie4687
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion but have now got it fixed.

Basically Virgin said not their end and suggested I contact Microsoft. I had done most of the suggestions on the various forums but was holding off changing the DNS settings as I wouldn't be 100% confident doing that. 

Microsoft man said probably virus or malware, said he could fix it but wouldn't commit to price sounded ££££.

Went to local computer guy who identified that the main problem was nearly 300 malware (probably to hijack online banking) that was shutting down the internet after about 20 mins to protect itself from discovery. PC fixed together with new Wi Fi card £40.

McAfee antivirus was installed on my PC and didn't pick up anything. Computer guy says use only Kapersky as this is the only antivirus that would probably stop the malware. Kapersky about to be installed.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

arnie4687 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion but have now got it fixed.

Basically Virgin said not their end and suggested I contact Microsoft. I had done most of the suggestions on the various forums but was holding off changing the DNS settings as I wouldn't be 100% confident doing that. 

Microsoft man said probably virus or malware, said he could fix it but wouldn't commit to price sounded ££££.

Went to local computer guy who identified that the main problem was nearly 300 malware (probably to hijack online banking) that was shutting down the internet after about 20 mins to protect itself from discovery. PC fixed together with new Wi Fi card £40.

McAfee antivirus was installed on my PC and didn't pick up anything. Computer guy says use only Kapersky as this is the only antivirus that would probably stop the malware. Kapersky about to be installed.

Sorry to say but it sounds like you have been well and truly ripped off!

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos