Menu
HerryDotter
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

DNS problems

Hello, I have problems to load web sites. From my web browser I get always DNS not found. It happens over 1 month on two computers (cables) and two mobile phones (wireless).I cant play online games because I got DCs from servers. Dont know what to do, I have read few topics but still I have that problem. Please have a look at the photos, may be its a problem I dont know. Thank you for your help.17149149_10206589326572430_1043159282_o.jpg17203811_10206589272891088_378838370_n.jpg

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: DNS problems

Hi HerryDotter,

Apologies for your broadband issues.

Thanks for sharing your traceroutes though they aren't highlighting any problem. And my tests aren't revealing anything specific.

There have, historically, been some upstream network errors so I may need to keep an eye on that. Your Hub is only reporting a single timeout but the Hub has only been online for a few hours so I'd like to know if the Hub was rebooted or if it dropped connectivity?

Also, when these disconnects occur, do you note if the Hub lights go out? I want to know if the Hub is disconnecting or if the Internet throughput is disrupted.

If possible would be able to post your Hub log data?

• Navigate to 192.168.0.1 in your browser
  • Logs
  • Network Logs

Just copy the data and paste on here.

Many thanks, 

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
HerryDotter
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello, the hub was not rebooted it dropped connectivity yesterday, but we have DNS problems very often and it is worse every day. Im not sure if lights go out when we lost connectivity because I have hub in another room but Im pretty sure when we have DNS problem (cant load web sites) the lights are on as normal. Here is what I found at Network Log. 11/03/2017 12:28:31 82000400 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

All of your trace routes are working. The routers where you are getting a timeout are just not replying to ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol) requests, if they were failing you would not go to the next hop. This is not a DNS problem.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello HerryDotter

I am sorry you are having problems but as Tudor mentioned the routing looks okay, frequently when an operating system or browser is unable to connect to the internet it reports it as a DNS issue when really the problem is not a DNS fault but a complete loss of connection. 

Your hub and line are looking good at the moment, the hub log you kindly posted shows a single T4 timeout, it is okay to get a few of these in normal operation by the way as area upstreams SNR looking good. Is it still happening, when you have a DNS error message perhaps try a traceroute to bbc.co.uk and 8.8.8.8 and post what happens.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
HerryDotter
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I noticed when we have problem with connection (web browser showed DNS server not found) the bottom green light flashed 3x very quick and then solid green light showed. I want this problem to be solved. Should we reboot our device or is problem with our systems? 

2017-03-15 (1).png

2017-03-15.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello HerryDotter,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

Sorry again for the problems you're having at the moment. If you perform a reboot from your end, it will clear the counters and we will be able to pick this back up in a few days and see if there's been any further time-outs.

Thanks for your patience with this,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
HerryDotter
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello again, I just rebooted super hub and problem still persists. It´s very annoying.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there HerryDotter,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I've taken a look at your connection and there has been no time-outs reported since the router has been online. I can see that the Super Hub is in modem mode, are you using your own router? If so, do you have this issue if you were connected directly to the Hub?

It may be worth creating a Broadband Quality Monitor to check the performance of the connection. If you do set up the BQM make sure that you go into your router settings > Advanced Settings > Ping > and tick Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
HerryDotter
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

yes we are using our router now and we dont have any issues yet but we will see later what happens.

Thank you.

0 Kudos