Menu
slinkydonkey
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

DNS Opt Out

Hello 

How /where do I opt out of the Virgin Media DNS settings?

Cheers

Paul S

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: DNS Opt Out

slinkydonkey wrote:
This doesn't work .. the first rule of IT support try the link before you recommend it ...

And the second rule is, be clear and not ambiguous when stating problems "This doesn't work" is ambiguous, to say the least.

The link Paul provided does work.  But only from a Virgin Media home connection as it uses the IP address to read/change the ANES status for the linked account.  It doesn't require a logon like the rest of my.virginmedia.

If you connect through a non-Virgin Media IP, e.g. mobile internet or VPN then it can't get the ANES status.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I think there are no longer any settings for that in the superhub (I stand to be corrected)

Either use your own router with the superhub in modem mode and modify the settings on that.

or if the device allows it, set them directly on the device... e.g. windows allows you to override the automatic dns settings.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

hiya @slinkydonkey as stevedh2 said you cant change the DNS on the hub, but you can on PC/laptop to any other DNS you want to use e.g. google, opendns etc.. http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/how-to-change-your-dns-windows-10 that guide most versions of windows..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
slinkydonkey
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I asked the wrong question how do i turn off 'Advanced Network Search' 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

cant be a bit of google first -> https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/settings
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
slinkydonkey
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes, mate but I am at work not at home I am purely doing this as one of our users is having a problem and I wanted to see if it could be done.

Apparently, he spent 50 minutes online to VM...it was only when he complained they put him through to the UK call center and they were able to disable this in two minutes.

But yes good to see it can be done online assuming the link works.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The link does work as I disabled mine some time ago.

While that link is to disable ANES - Virgin do have a couple of other technologies that rely on modification of DNS lookups in some, although not all cases.

Child Safe
Virus Safe

If you want to completely turn off these services, this can be done by logging in to my.virginmedia.com and clicking My Apps and then Web Safe.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
slinkydonkey
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This doesn't work .. the first rule of IT support try the link before you recommend it ...
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

what happens when you try?
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

slinkydonkey wrote:

And the second rule is, be clear and not ambiguous when stating problems "This doesn't work" is ambiguous, to say the least.

The link Paul provided does work.  But only from a Virgin Media home connection as it uses the IP address to read/change the ANES status for the linked account.  It doesn't require a logon like the rest of my.virginmedia.

If you connect through a non-Virgin Media IP, e.g. mobile internet or VPN then it can't get the ANES status.

Tim