Menu
Richard19761
Just joined
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

DDNS capability on the SuperHub

I am new to Virgin Media.  On my previous router, with my previous ISP, I used the DDNS function to remotely connect to my home CCTV and Intruder alarm systems.  I have set up the port forwarding part, but cannot find a mention of DDNS anywhere.....  I have Googled it, as you do these days, and read that the SuperHub does not support DDNS.......  If this is the case, what are my options......  I would imagine that a Static Public IP would be the best option, but surely this is a costly overkill for only remotely viewing home CCTV cameras and a security alarm App.....

Can someone advise........ Please.

Many thanks in advance.

Tags (3)
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: DDNS capability on the SuperHub

hiya @Richard19761 welcome to the virignmedia community forum, best idea to resolve all issues with port forwarding, DDNS etc.. is to put the superhub into modem mode and use a 3rd party router, my fellow superusers advise using a asus rt68 series, might be a bit pricy but well worth it.. since the current hub is just meant to get you online via wired/wireless any additional features require 3rd party hardware.

for putting hub into modem mode -> https://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=27555&CURRENT...
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There are low cost and free DDNS services out there

Start at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DynamicDNS

for a list of services and a link to more. Ignore the fact its Ubuntu related, the same information applies.

0 Kudos
pcmanbob
Up to speed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When you say DDNS capability I assume you mean the ability of the router to connect to you dynamic dns account and update your external IP.

most if not all dynamic dns providers have a small program you can run on a pc that will do the update for you depending on who you are with depends on what its called. no-ip use one called DUC while dyndns use one called dynupdater  both are free.

just have a look on you suppliers web site normally under the support or download options

PovilasRimka
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Paultechy, could you tell me a bit more about the putting superhub into modem mode? Cause I was trying to do so but unfortunately I couldn't make a new router to obtain the internet connection.

Do I need to get the new router with coaxial internet ability and after turning on the ''superhub'' into modem mode do I need to unplug the coax connection and plug it to the new router? 

P.S. I am really disappointed for those new ''Superhub 3.0'' modem routers... you pay for the internet provider and after that just after getting the new router you finding out you still need to pay quite a lot of extra to get the basic service (cause they decided to use the cheapest routers...)

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

hiya @PovilasRimka once you've enabled modem mode and attached the 3rd party router, need to reboot the hub so the virginmedia network picks up the connection and assigns IP address etc.. since what router did you buy/get?

with the virginmedia network, you can only use the hubs supplied by them, attached a 3rd party router that has a coax port wouldn't work.. with the hubs they are with the most basic of features get you online etc.. since only a small proportion of the customer on virignmedia even know what DDNS is
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
PovilasRimka
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for informative reply.
I do have Netgear AC1200 WiFi Modem router. As I am turinning the virgin superhub to modem modem mode and restarting it my new attached router not obtaining the Internet connection:/
0 Kudos