Menu
denchaser
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Control of signal to devices

Hi, 

could someone offer me some advice on how to control what signal goes to what device and its strength?

Let me explain what i mean.

We have many devices connected to our router (super hub 3), ipads,iphones, pc, apple tv, platstation 4, so its a drain on the internet obvouisly, but why do some devices not suffer the drop and some do?

I use the pc at home to work on, when the kids are at school i have no troubles, but when they come home, then my pc suffers a drop big time, i know its because of there on consoles and there pads and phones etc,other than asking them to to turn there wifi off when they are not using them, which they do, but its not solving the problem.

i know i can control with parental settings to turn off there connection altogether, or at times, but i  dont want to do that, i just want to be able to say right, if all these devices are in use then the 'Signal Priority' is 1) my PC 2) My iphone 3)Wifes phone, etc, etc. you get the picture?

is this at all posiible?

can i control the strength of signal to devices being used on my internet connection?

thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Control of signal to devices

With the Hub in modem mode and a quality external wireless router, you can set QoS (look that up!) to associate priority with a device MAC address (look that up too). If that's an option for you, then we can talk you through it.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
denchaser
Just joined
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Can you reccomend a external router?

forgive my stupidness, but i dont have a MAC so what good is having a MAC address? my assumption is because of the apple devices?

thanks

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

That's why I suggested you look up "MAC address" so that you get an inkling before we discuss what you have to do! The MAC address is a unique identifier for each network device (WiFi and wired) on your system.

As to routers, the ASUS range is what I use and they have comprehensive QoS functions (which I have no need for).

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos