Menu
Highlighted
Stupot43
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Continually dropping wi-fi connection

I have been with Virginmedia now for nearly 20 years and we have never had so much trouble with the wi-fi connection in house as we have now. I have a 2ac hub which is situated next to my PC. I connect with it via ethernet but the rest of the house is connecting by wi-fi. I also use a wi-fi extender, a Netgear PLW1000 (bought via Virginmedia). The past couple of months we have to reboot/reset the hub 3/4 times a day to try and get a connection. Funny thing though, some tech can get connected but others can't at the same time. I keep everthing up to date on the tech but this problem seem to be slowly getting worse and is now become a pain in the backside.

Can anyone give me any suggestion why this might be happening or how I might fix it. Would I be any better asking for a Hub 3, or is that just as bad.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Continually dropping wi-fi connection

Changing ISP's wouldn't change your wireless enviroment, so you probably not be better off as you suspect.

How is your wired PC performing. the wired connection would be the benchmark on how your internet connection is performing as it will not be affected by wireless's many variables.

How have you set up the powerline adapters? Have you given the same SSIDs as the Hub? Have you set them up to use the same wireless channel as the hub or a channel at least 5 channels away from the Hub?

I take it you have plugged the powerline adapters directly into the mains socket.

Giving the powerline adapters different SSIDs would help diagnosis by letting you know what device you are connecting to.

Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

If you have optimised the wireless signal and the Powerline Adapters are still giving you problems it might be worth resetting them.

0 Kudos

All Replies
jer2405
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Leave them
0 Kudos
Stupot43
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Would I be any better off though?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Changing ISP's wouldn't change your wireless enviroment, so you probably not be better off as you suspect.

How is your wired PC performing. the wired connection would be the benchmark on how your internet connection is performing as it will not be affected by wireless's many variables.

How have you set up the powerline adapters? Have you given the same SSIDs as the Hub? Have you set them up to use the same wireless channel as the hub or a channel at least 5 channels away from the Hub?

I take it you have plugged the powerline adapters directly into the mains socket.

Giving the powerline adapters different SSIDs would help diagnosis by letting you know what device you are connecting to.

Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

If you have optimised the wireless signal and the Powerline Adapters are still giving you problems it might be worth resetting them.

0 Kudos
Stupot43
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK, the wired PC still occassionally drops out even when the router is still showing all its lights and I have to reboot or reset the router. The powerline adapter has its own SSID so that I know what I'm connecting thru. As far as the channels, I'm not sure what channel they are using, I just let it do automatically when I originally set it up and it is plugged directly into a wall socket not in an extension socket.

I do try and connect using the 5Ghz band if available, especially if close to adapter or router. It all depends what sort of strength the signal is as to what band I use.

Is the "Super" Hub 3 any better than the 2ac

0 Kudos
Andruser
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've been having the same problems with my Superhub 2 (and similar background to your use, excepting that there's no range extender).  I did originally think it was just the wired PC that was being dropped off, but after playing around with other devices, it seems that they are also dropping out, but they are mostly much better at re-establishing a connection quickly.  For casual use this is rarely noticed, but it really wipes out streaming and Chromecast use, which is a pain.  On the wired PC, you might find that using Windows to reset the ethernet adaptor is a lot quicker fix than rebooting the Hub - my hub is very slow to reboot and come back on line.  I posted a recent forum query about this and got a suggestion of using a fixed IP for the PC - this greatly improves things in terms of not requiring a hub reboot or an adaptor reset, but the PC still occasionally loses the link with the hub, and it requires a moment to reconnect of its own accord.

So you're not alone, but the problem does seem to be with the Superhub 2, wasn't there when new, and seems to be getting worse.  Anything that we can test, any settings we can adjust?  Personally I;d like to avoid the Superhub 3 due to the well known problems with the device and the rubbish Intel Puma chipset.

0 Kudos
cobraweb
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue. All the help you get is to keep feeding back information on settings but still there is no change or improvement. It is especially prevalent at weekends. I don't think they have the bandwidth to supply so many users.

jer2405
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes customer service is 2nd to non with sky. From my recent experience Virgin are a joke and should seriously look at their training methods and customer service !
0 Kudos
tracym73
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't change to the Hub 3.0, I joined Virgin in May and have had nothing but issues with the Hub 3.0. Constantly having to reset the router for both wifi and LAN connections which keep dropping out. I have phoned for them to say they can't see any errors and when an engineer finally came out he said he could see some errors but then couldn't find anything at the cabinet. They have now changed to another Hub 3.0 box but still having the same issues.

0 Kudos