Menu
bellefarniente
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Constant disconnecting and buffering

Hey all,

Seen others with a mixture of these issues, but not a conclusive answer to both, so I figured I'd post up.

I joined Virgin (again) about two weeks ago, after suffering hell at the hands of Sky's fibre broadband. Day one of my 50mb fibre from Virgin was ace. But it's rapidly gone downhill ever since.

I am forever getting buffering on videos on all platforms (Facebook, YouTube, Netflix etc) over WiFi on all mobile devices, and the WiFi keeps dropping out, and then reconnecting. This latter part is every couple of minutes.

This is incredibly frustrating, and has led to me just using mobile data instead. I've used my entire 10gb allowance in three days...

I'm really not an expert when it comes to broadband (phones is another matter!), so any help or advice would be ace. Even if it's just getting an engineer out to fix it!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant disconnecting and buffering

Have you tested with a wired Ethernet connection to see if it is just happening with wireless? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is best. It can also help to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

Are you seeing buffering all day or only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends)? Some areas are suffering with over utilisation, which results in very slow speeds and buffering at peak times but full speed and no buffering at off peak times.

If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login (unless you have a Hub 3 and this is your first visit to the hub GUI, which does require you to login) but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread (can take 7-10 days) and run checks on your line.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

bellefarniente
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20170211-220956.pngScreenshot_20170211-220943.pngScreenshot_20170211-221000.pngScreenshot_20170211-221007.pngScreenshot_20170211-221010.png

0 Kudos
bellefarniente
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott,

Thanks for replying so quickly bud! I'm at wits end with it in honesty. So, I very much doubt it's anything to do with interference, but I can't say for sure. I very briefly ethernet'd a laptop to it earlier, and it seemed fine, but it was hardly a rigorous test, in honesty.

I have screenshot all the router info I could find, I hope it's informative. Thanks again matey!

Josh
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have rejected the log screen shot to protect your privacy as it contained your MAC address.

The power levels posted appear to be within the recommended range so if a wired test was fine then right now it is looking like either wireless interference, which is very common, or a fault with the hub's wireless.  Perhaps try some more wired testing to confirm that the correct speed is being delivered to the hub.

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors (Thickness of walls and building materials used within them, mirrors, fish tanks, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, a neighbour's wireless router, etc.) so it is not something VM can control or guarantee, no ISP can.  The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much.  The only thing VM will suggest is trying different wireless channels, they have a guide here.

There is also a sticky post at the top of this board with good advice:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos