Menu
higgsboson
Up to speed
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Constant activity on WAN side of Router

Hi

I use my Superhub 2 in modem mode with an ASUS RT-N66U router. For at least a couple of months the internet activity on the incoming side of the router has been constant, and the data activity light on the modem has been flashing continuously. Previously this did not occur, and the blue data light on the modem was static, flashing only occasionally.

Looking at the firewall log on the router, there are an enormous amount of dropped packets, with log messages similar to ......

Jan 27 12:15:06 kernel: DROP  <4>DROP IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**:**:**:**:**:**:**:08:00 <1>src=62.254.26.203 DST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <1>LEN=57 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=58 ID=28936 DF PROTO=TCP <1>SPT=143 DPT=49967 SEQ=1464019091 ACK=1675055982 WINDOW=63 RES=0x00 ACK PSH URGP=0

(the xxx's after DST are my IP address), which occur every one or two minutes. No doubt the firewall is doing it's job, but why am I getting all this rubbish activity when I didn't before.?

The incoming traffic monitor on the router (orange) confirms the activity on the WAN side, which is not reflected on my network (blue) (pics attached). Can VM throw any light on this please?

Wired activity 27-1-17.JPGWireless acitivity 2.4GHz 27-1-17.JPGWireless activity 5GHz 27-1-17.JPG

Cheers

Dave
If you are going to kick a tiger in the ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with it's teeth (Tom Clancy - The Teeth of the Tiger)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Constant activity on WAN side of Router

Hi Seph, thanks for the replies,

Not so much bothered (seems to have no obvious effect on my connection) as curious as to what these changes are, and why they result in activity that wasn't present a few months ago. Perhaps VM would be gracious enough to explain.

My good friend Ignition posted this a while back:

You are on a new CMTS. It's a multi-service edge router with CMTS cards in it and the RVI part of the source of the broadcasts is a routed VLAN interface.

Routed VLAN interfaces broadcast ARP requests and can service multiple subnets as they can have a primary and a number of sub-interfaces.

These broadcasts have no impact at all on your service. 10 broadcasts per second is nothing in the grand scheme. A customer downloading at full speed on 152Mb will have a throughput of over 13,000 packets per second downstream being acknowledged by potentially over 6,500 packets per second upstream.

Do not worry about it. The downstream broadcasts are fine - the responses are unicast and it's not an issue.

His answer will be definitive.

The relevant (interesting thread is at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/oxfd-cmts-28-cable-mac2rvi-network-virgin...

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

All Replies
higgsboson
Up to speed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just noticed after posting that router incoming pic wasn't uploaded for some reason. Here it is ....

WAN activity 27-1-17.JPG

Cheers

Dave
If you are going to kick a tiger in the ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with it's teeth (Tom Clancy - The Teeth of the Tiger)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Morning higgsboson,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community. 

My apologies that you are having an issue with your broadband connection.

From checking the network there is high traffic during peak hours which may impact you, otherwise there are no other issues, that I could see.

If you disconnect your ASUS router do you still notice activity on the WAN connection?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
higgsboson
Up to speed
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha, thanks for the reply,

With my router powered off, the activity which I identify as data traffic (signified by the blue vertical flashing double arrow on the modem - which is in MODEM MODE) does not change, it is flashing continuously at a seemingly constant rate. Since the only data source connected to the modem under those circumstances is VM's equipment, I assume the "traffic" originates from there. It looks as if the router, when powered, rejects it all as rubbish, hence the dropped packets. Can it be fixed, it wasn't happening before? Does it need to be fixed? What is it?

Kind Regards

Dave

Cheers

Dave
0 Kudos
higgsboson
Up to speed
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Bump?
Cheers

Dave
0 Kudos
higgsboson
Up to speed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The silence from VM is deafening. I was asked for info, I replied and asked a few more questions. Any sort of acknowledgement would be nice, whether my queries can be answered or not.

Cheers

Dave
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This topic has been done to death in the forums under "constant blue flashing light" or similar search term.  Without disappointing your forum search endeavours, I can tell you that there is nothing amiss and gradually all SH2/ac users will see this as various changes at the VM end take place.

If it bothers you, best to get a Hub 3 where nothing blinks unless there is something wrong.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Oh - by the way - there is constant activity on the WAN side of your hub. Every piece of data sent to every hub in your locality hits your modem. Only data that has a specific key assigned at the last reboot/reset will then pass to the LAN side or switch in modem mode.

0 Kudos
higgsboson
Up to speed
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:

............., I can tell you that there is nothing amiss and gradually all SH2/ac users will see this as various changes at the VM end...............

Not so much bothered (seems to have no obvious effect on my connection) as curious as to what these changes are, and why they result in activity that wasn't present a few months ago. Perhaps VM would be gracious enough to explain.

Cheers

Dave
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My good friend Ignition posted this a while back:

You are on a new CMTS. It's a multi-service edge router with CMTS cards in it and the RVI part of the source of the broadcasts is a routed VLAN interface.

Routed VLAN interfaces broadcast ARP requests and can service multiple subnets as they can have a primary and a number of sub-interfaces.

These broadcasts have no impact at all on your service. 10 broadcasts per second is nothing in the grand scheme. A customer downloading at full speed on 152Mb will have a throughput of over 13,000 packets per second downstream being acknowledged by potentially over 6,500 packets per second upstream.

Do not worry about it. The downstream broadcasts are fine - the responses are unicast and it's not an issue.

His answer will be definitive.

The relevant (interesting thread is at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/oxfd-cmts-28-cable-mac2rvi-network-virgin...