Menu
Animaluta
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Constant Wifi Drop Out

Hi Guys,

Wifi is constantly dropping out. I have the good old fashioned Super Hub and since the "boost" from 50mbps to 70mbps a few months ago the Wifi is terrible. It drops out often, sometimes every 10 minutes. Rebooting it sucks when gaming, but it does solve the issue... but for how long is anybodies guess. The broadband service checks out fine when tested, it's just the Wifi that's bad... several devices drop out... My PC, my kids PS4, Xbox one and laptops. Even the Smart TV connection drops... watching Netflix is painful. Please help.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Constant Wifi Drop Out

Animaluta wrote:

Hi Guys,

Wifi is constantly dropping out. I have the good old fashioned Super Hub and since the "boost" from 50mbps to 70mbps a few months ago the Wifi is terrible. It drops out often, sometimes every 10 minutes. Rebooting it sucks when gaming, but it does solve the issue... but for how long is anybodies guess. The broadband service checks out fine when tested, it's just the Wifi that's bad... several devices drop out... My PC, my kids PS4, Xbox one and laptops. Even the Smart TV connection drops... watching Netflix is painful. Please help.

The SH1 (VMDG480) is a pretty poor device and it may be worth giving retentions (thinking of leaving us option) a ring after the holidays and see what your options are to upgrade to a SH2AC or Hub 3, bearing in mind it may tie you into a new contract

. You always have the option of buying your own third party router and putting the hub into modem mode. Most third party routers would outperform the entry level SHs and will havemore deatures.

The SH1 is underpowered and cannoy handle handling a lot of power adjuxtments and the WiFi the same time. So posting the power levels and network logs would help.

Navigate to the hub's GUI using http://192.168.100.1
Don't log in, click the Router Status button in the top right of the screen.
Copy \ Paste the Downstream, Upstream, and Network Logs.

Don't worry about the formatting.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

I would also check for other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

0 Kudos

All Replies
LegendUK
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Same is happening to me. Ethernet connection from my laptop is fine. But if I try the wi-fi on my laptop, sons tablet or mobile phone then it keeps dropping or is unable to connect at all for long periods.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Animaluta wrote:

Hi Guys,

The SH1 (VMDG480) is a pretty poor device and it may be worth giving retentions (thinking of leaving us option) a ring after the holidays and see what your options are to upgrade to a SH2AC or Hub 3, bearing in mind it may tie you into a new contract

. You always have the option of buying your own third party router and putting the hub into modem mode. Most third party routers would outperform the entry level SHs and will havemore deatures.

The SH1 is underpowered and cannoy handle handling a lot of power adjuxtments and the WiFi the same time. So posting the power levels and network logs would help.

Navigate to the hub's GUI using http://192.168.100.1
Don't log in, click the Router Status button in the top right of the screen.
Copy \ Paste the Downstream, Upstream, and Network Logs.

Don't worry about the formatting.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

I would also check for other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

0 Kudos
Animaluta
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hey Griffin, Thanks for the reply,

Here's the logs. I reset the network log before my original post... and I've just done another reboot of the  hub as it unsurprisingly dropped out again.

The router position is central and hasn't been moved since installation a few years ago.

I've installed the analyzer on my phone. There are no other Wi-Fi networks showing apart from my own...

If my service doesn't improve I will move suppliers, I can't put up with this much longer...... Smiley Sad

Downstream.JPGUpstream.JPGNetwork Log.JPG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Stats look fine. Allthough it would be still worth testing with a device connected directly to the hub to confirm the internet connection is not dropping.

If the wired connection is fine, then it could be possibly interference from a non wifi network source, car with wireless alarm system for example, or the wireless radio failing on the SH1.

0 Kudos