Menu
melloorr
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Connection Randomly Disconnecting

The past few days, I have been having sporadic issues with my internet connection.

Occasionally the connection would just drop for no reason and would get the Chrome Error: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

I initially thought it was to do with the recent issue on Windows 10 machines, but I am also having the same issue on Android devices.

Although no settings have been changed on the router, I reset the router back to factory settings, but it has not fixed the issue.

Also, I have been having issues where it would take a good few seconds to even attempt to load up a website, even though I do not have slow download speeds.

Is this a problem with the Virgin Media Service?

Jack_C
Dialled in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection Randomly Disconnecting

I had to login to concur. I don't intend to hijack the thread because they belong in a separate post, but I can add that I do have a PC running Windows 10 but it is connected via ethernet cable so it has been unaffected by the issues others have. I notice I have received the silent KB update they released to combat the connectivity issues.

My own connectivity issues have been on wireless devices - laptop, phones, tables. I'm told the lights were noticeably flashing but don't know which ones. I've power-cycled the SuperHub by unplugging everything and also done a pinhole reset. That was only 25 minutes ago so I can't say if it helps or not.

If a Super User / Mod would like upstream/downstream logs then feel free to ask, but I'm not sure if they're of any use after a reset.

@melloorr where are you (roughly) located? I'm in Leicester.

0 Kudos
melloorr
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm in the Wigan area. And my issues are on Ethernet and Wi-Fi connections.

My PC had not had any updates installed since mid November, but the issues have been in the past few days. So I would suspect a change on VM's side has caused this issue. 

Lets see if they will own up to it.

0 Kudos
Wayayman
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, just to let you know I have had this problem for about a year on-and-off (literally...) but I'm an Apple-only house. I have a feeling that the Windows 10 excuse gets rolled out too often and conveniently (as it did on one of my recent webchats with CS. Something is going on, but it seems no one is stepping up to sort it out. Dont want to hijack so I'll start my own thread.

0 Kudos
blueferret
Just joined
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting this continuously - having to reboot the SH2 almost daily.

Services that suddenly drop off are all on WiFi - SamsungTV, Canary, iphone, ipad, Mac. It's at the point where I can't actually rely on being able to access the internet at any give time.

Problems started about 3-4 weeks ago and are getting worse. Have tried 2G and 5G both are equally unreliable.

0 Kudos
Graeme2812
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Starting to experience the same issues here as well now. 

SH2 ac (Hardware version 1.03 and software V1.01.11) on the Virgin Vivid 200 service. Broadband only. No TV or Phone.

Wired capacity has maintained and is excellent, but wireless performance on 2.4GHz is now nonexistent.

Still good performance on the 5GHz wireless network, and therefore appears unaffected thus far.

As others before me, have tried soft/hard reset and every configuration imaginable. I've used Wi-Fi Analyser to see what channels are free in my area and experimented here too. When i'm sat next to the router, the signal strength will go from -30dBm for a few seconds to then not being received at all. It then just flicks between the two every 10 seconds or so as if it's switching on and then off again. This is within channels that no other Wi-Fi is being received. (I.e it's own free channels) where other networks on other channels appear steady.

On the rare occasion it will report as connected but the connection is un-usable. 

Managed to get it to complete a speed test once. Download speed of around 1.5Mpbs....on the 200Mbps service.

Have multiple devices connected across 2.4GHz and 5GHz so can't disable just the 2.4GHz. (Chromecast for example)

A thought: Could i be selecting channels that appear free, but someone else may be using them and just not broadcasting their SSID? i.e they would not show up on WiFi Analyser despite potentially still broadcasting?

Any advice?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wifi scanners are useless if you want to know clear channels as they only show wifi and not the 100's of other much more damaging devices that use 2.4hgz

For example video senders and wireless CCTV can destroy the channels as they send a consistent signal that wifi has to work out its own signal from.
0 Kudos