Menu
totallyrandom
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Connection Issues with internet...I've tried it all...

Hi

I have a windows 10 Laptop, after a clean install of windows 10 (because of a boot loop) I can connect to the virgin super hub network, but I don't get any internet.

Now it's a bit strange as:

- the laptop will connect OK and get internet with any other router/vpn

- my other devices (mobile and tablet) can connect to the virgin superhub and get internet

- I get internet on the laptop through Ethernet (like in 1997, only faster)

- I have tried a second clean install (from the restore partition/lenovo one click) but no luck (it did not work even with windows 8.1). 

- I tried most fixes about refreshing netsocket from command prompt but no change

- i contacted the lenovo support and spent a good hour with them (great support chat) but no luck

- I contacted windows microsoft support (as good), but no luck at all..they suggested a clean install that did not work

- I tried different drivers for the wireless hardware (intel ac-3160)

- before you say it...I turned both the hub and the laptop off and on again...! Smiley Happy

originally the wireless internet with the virgin super hub worked fine...I can't seem to be able to figure this one out, any ideas???

thank you for reading this far!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection Issues with internet...I've tried it all...

Hello totallyrandom

Welcome to our forum, sorry you are encountering difficulties reconnecting wireless it is a bit of a puzzle!

If as you mentioned it connects, do you actually get a hub IP allocated to the PC? (Command prompt >ipconfig). Should be a 192.168.x.x one. If you do are you able to ping the hub? (Command prompt >ping 192.168.0.1)

It is an interesting one

Also just had a thought, I wonder if security software is causing issues, what happens if you try a safeboot with networking?

Thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
totallyrandom
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi

thank you for your quick answer! yes I have an IP for the hub (I can access the hub and the prompt ping is 100% successful)

having said that when I go into safe mode with networking in windows 10 neither ethernet or wireless work (or should I say it worked for a bout 30 seconds, as soon as I went into wireless mode, it stopped working completely)

a tricky one indeed!!

0 Kudos
canoeberry
Dialled in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

When you say you don't get any internet, what do you mean?

Do you mean that while you can ping your cable modem (192.168.100.1 or 192.168.0.1 if you are using your cable modem's wifi) you cannot reach the internet? What is the actual error message you see? Do web pages come back with "unknown host" or "server timed out" or something else?

Can you ping virginmedia.com? Or if not virginmedia.com, can you ping 8.8.8.8 (one of google's DNS servers)?

0 Kudos
totallyrandom
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

nointernet.png

yes I can connect to the router and access the admin side, but I cannot get to any website. it says "no internet, secured" when I connect. that is a capture of when I try to access any internet page

when I troubleshoot it says to restart the router (turn off/on) but that does not change anything

thank you for replying!

0 Kudos
canoeberry
Dialled in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

"No internet, secured" sounds like a MSFT message which means you are on a secured network (you typed a password) but the internet is not reachable.

Does this web page help you? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/after-november-update-to-wind...

Or perhaps this from another site:

I did this:
1) Go to Network and Sharing Center
2) Change adapter settings
3) Right click on Wi-Fi adapter, select properties
4) Click on configure, then go to advanced tab
5)Property:802.11n Value: 20/40 Auto

0 Kudos
totallyrandom
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Really appreciate your time guys

having said that I've just tried all the fixes on that page (whole thread), and all the settings seem to be correct on my computer (bandwidth is on Auto by default).  there are no bridged connections at all. even tried more fixes like on this page at the bottom...no luck http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-network-connection-issues

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
canoeberry
Dialled in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Do you know how to use the CMD prompt on your Windows 10 machine?

What hosts can you ping?

Can you ping 8.8.8.8 or virginmedia.com?

0 Kudos
totallyrandom
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

yes I do (I've probably been using windows since 3.1)

I cannot ping anything but 192.168.0.1 (the router basically) when on wifi anything else it says 'request timed out'

0 Kudos
canoeberry
Dialled in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Wow - that really sucks. 

So you are clearly connected to wifi. 

You cannot ping an IP address. So it's not even DNS issue. Your computer is literally not able to get past the wifi router. But all your other computers can.

I only have Windows 10 in a virtual machine and my Windows chops have melted away over the past 12 years of going with Macs.

Let me poke around some more but there are probably better people than I to help you. I couldn't tell at first that you knew what you were doing.

JP

0 Kudos