Menu
sam2702
Joining in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Connecting to Fitbit Aria scales

I have just purchased some Fitbit Aria scales but cannot connect to them.  After some research it appears to be my router which is the problem.  Can anyone help please.  I am happy to change router settings but not sure what to change.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting to Fitbit Aria scales

Which Superhub do you have?

I have successfully connected my Aria to both Superhub 2 and 3 with no change to any default router settings.

0 Kudos
sam2702
Joining in
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I have a super hub 2. It lets me get so far and then doesn't find my own network.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

If I recall correctly there are several ways to setup Aria. I setup from the Fitbit app on iPad with the Aria close to my Superhub.

0 Kudos
sam2702
Joining in
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I've tried that but I've just found some more posts on here which I'll have a look at. Thanks.

0 Kudos
sam2702
Joining in
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Is there anyone out there who has set up their Aria scales using the Virgin Superhub 2ac? It is definitely a problem with the Superhub and not the scales.  I have spoken to numerous people at Fitbit and read other users comments.   I have tried everything suggested, setting it up from the app, using the software and using both a Mac and pc.  It seems to be a widely known issue but not many people seem to have got around it.  I have added the MAC address for the scales to allow it in but to no avail.  I have added a guest network and tried to configure a WEP setting but apparently Virgin don't allow you to do this.  I can't find anywhere on the settings where I can check that it is allowing an 802.11b connection so if anyone can help me I would be most grateful.  If I can't sort this out over the weekend I will have to send my scales back but I will be leaving Virgin at the end of my contract and purchasing them again at a later date.  Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

While it is disappointing for you to be unable to get your Aria scales working, it seems unwarranted for you to threaten to leave Virgin Media without proof that the problem lies with the Superhub.

It could equally well be an issue with the scales, a hardware problem with wifi perhaps.

Have you suggested to your Fitbit supplier that they swap the scales?

0 Kudos
sam2702
Joining in
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so now it seems Virgin media are going further down in my estimation. I have just spoken to someone at their call centre, the first guy although pleasant enough and understood what I was talking about, couldn't help me himself and transferred me to someone in the tech team, someone I suspect wasn't based in the UK. This guy hadn't got a clue what I was talking about, told me the scales were a new product and they were currently still being researched by their tech team (I don't call something launched in 2012 new). He said he was going to talk to someone else and call me back later! I'm not holding out much hop that a) someone will call me back and b) they will be able to solv my problem.  Sky - I'll be back in August!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

sam2702 wrote:

Is there anyone out there who has set up their Aria scales using the Virgin Superhub 2ac? It is definitely a problem with the Superhub and not the scales.  I have spoken to numerous people at Fitbit and read other users comments.   I have tried everything suggested, setting it up from the app, using the software and using both a Mac and pc.  It seems to be a widely known issue but not many people seem to have got around it.  I have added the MAC address for the scales to allow it in but to no avail.  I have added a guest network and tried to configure a WEP setting but apparently Virgin don't allow you to do this.  I can't find anywhere on the settings where I can check that it is allowing an 802.11b connection so if anyone can help me I would be most grateful.  If I can't sort this out over the weekend I will have to send my scales back but I will be leaving Virgin at the end of my contract and purchasing them again at a later date.  Thank you for your time.

You will need to set the wireless 2.4Ghz radio mode to 54Mbps in the Wireless Section \ Wireless Radio in the advanced settings page to enable WEP. I would be aware that WEP is no longer secure, so if the device supports a higher encryption mode I would use that instead. Also, if it is a wireless b device, rather than a minimum spec it will slow the whole network down to single digit speeds.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

nerdace wrote:
Ernie_C - This is the 2nd post I've come accross where you are absolutely no help what so ever. People come on here for a solution, not to hear you boast about not having any issues yourself. Either post something useful or f*** off.

... because of posts like this, I get dissuaded from posting

But....

The Aria is a g device, not a b device. I know this because my wireless 2.4GHz is set to g/n mixed.

I have my wireless security set to WPA2-PSK.

As I said before, I have not changed the defaults on my Superhub 3 (or my Superhub 2 before) to get the Aria to connect.

I do not believe this is a router issue which leads me to think that the problem lies with the Fitbit hardware or (and I apologise for saying this) the user.

In addition, Virgin Media have no responsibility for a user's device. It is down to the user to install and operate the device. If any supplier has responsibility, it is Fitbit.