Menu
matthest1
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Connecting new TV point in loft - can I install my own cable?

Hi there.

We are in the middle of building works at home and are doing a lift conversion. The electrician has offered to run a Cat 5 or 6 cable from the loft room down to the ground floor, so we can connect to the VM network more easily, and have the TV service running in the loft room. The benefit of doing it now is that the cable can be run under the floorboards and concealed, rather than in a few weeks time (when the VM engineer is next available), and have the cable running from the ground floor sat on skirting boards and being generally visible. I don't want to infringe on the T's and C's of VM's service provision, but nor do I want a big fat cable running up the stairs and looking ugly after we've just done the house. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting new TV point in loft - can I install my own cable?

Virgin TV service requires a coax cable to a Tivo or V6 box. An Ethernet cable will only provide a data connection to the SHub, which itself requires a coax cable connection to the VM network.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting new TV point in loft - can I install my own cable?

Ducting is the usual solution as TiVo will need a coax connection (as mentioned above). If the spark is running cables, may as well run a duct for VM coax as well...

0 Kudos