Menu
will4jan
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Connecting mobile to home wifi

Recently my Virgin mobile has failed to connect to my Virgin wifi. More accurately, the connections are listed under Settings - Wifi on my mobile; I am required to enter the password and the screen shows that the mobile is "connecting" and then "connected" but the connection only lasts for a few seconds. Previously, the connection had been made automatically.

The wifi supports other devices so the Virgin Help Wifi team say it is not a Wifi problem. My mobile connects to other Wifi so the Virgin Help Mobile team say it is not a problem with the mobile.

I have spent hours on the phone including to the premium service but without resolution. I'm stuck and don't know what to try next. Could the fact that I'm short on storage space be an issue?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connecting mobile to home wifi

Hi will4jan,

Sorry about your Wi-Fi issues though glad to see you've been getting some good support from the Community Smiley Happy

Although it may not be related to your reported problem my tests reveal low modem SNR on the Hub. The network segment to which you connect has shown dipped channel SNR today, intermittently,  from about 3:30pm to 5pm. It seems to have abated now and no faults preceded this.

It's worth me keeping an eye on that just in case. But the low modem SNR needs attention from an engineer, so please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll schedule an appointment for you. 

In the meantime please check out our help articles relating to WiFi:

If the issue persists following the engineer visit, and if the wireless configuration changes don't help, please post an update on here and I'll get back to you about this. I'll re-check the network segment in case that needs attention and consider replacing your Hub as a last resort.

Bye for now Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos

All Replies
KeithW
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Try resetting your superhub

Once you have done this use the WiFi settings/password on the bottom of your superhub.

******************************************************************************************************************************
All the voices in my head are my own voices - Find your own!

If I have helped you then please click on the "thumbs up" icon.

If you feel I have helped to solve your problem then please mark my message as a "Helpful Answer"

0 Kudos
will4jan
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Already tried switching on and off, and resetting i.e. going back to factory settings.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Which Hub is it?

What phone are you trying to connect?

Are you using WPA2 with AES wireless encryption?

0 Kudos
will4jan
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's a Super Hub 2 and my mobile is a Sony Experia M4. I don't know the answer to the third question - how do I find that out?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Open up the Hub's GUI using http://192.168.100.1

Sign in and click on the wireless icon and the Security Method will be listed for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks, you can change method by clicking on the drop down menu remembering to save your changes.

Have you tried connecting to the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network, the phone should be able to connect to either.

0 Kudos
will4jan
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've tried connecting to both 2.4 and 5 ghz services, with identical results. The security setting is WPA Auto. Thanks for pointing out that I could make changes to the router settings, I didn't know I could do that. I haven't changed anything yet although the Virgin folks remotely tried changing channel among other things.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi will4jan,

Sorry about your Wi-Fi issues though glad to see you've been getting some good support from the Community Smiley Happy

Although it may not be related to your reported problem my tests reveal low modem SNR on the Hub. The network segment to which you connect has shown dipped channel SNR today, intermittently,  from about 3:30pm to 5pm. It seems to have abated now and no faults preceded this.

It's worth me keeping an eye on that just in case. But the low modem SNR needs attention from an engineer, so please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll schedule an appointment for you. 

In the meantime please check out our help articles relating to WiFi:

If the issue persists following the engineer visit, and if the wireless configuration changes don't help, please post an update on here and I'll get back to you about this. I'll re-check the network segment in case that needs attention and consider replacing your Hub as a last resort.

Bye for now Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
will4jan
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Problem solved by the engineer installing a new hub. Apparently the problem is symptomatic of a hub beginning to reach its use-by date.

0 Kudos
Jamoulden
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I am having the exact same problem with my virgin mobile not connecting to my virgin home wifi. It constantly cuts out and goes onto 3G even though I'm at home and should be on home network. It's using all my data even though I'm at home!

0 Kudos