Menu
Arpo
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Connecting a second router to Super Hub.

A lodger in my house wants to connect to my Virgin internet via wireless on my Super Hub.

The only way I would consider this is if his bandwidth was seriously limited.

I understand the the Virgin hub does not support QOS.  I would, if possible, connect a low cost wireless router to the super hub, one with QOS.  The lodger could then connect to the second router, with limited bandwidth.

Can this be done?

Is it possible to connect a QOS router or WAP to the Superhub, and it still be possible for my machines to access the Superhub.

If not, I would need to buy an expensive second router, for all devices to connect to, which I don't really want to do.

Appreciate all helpful answers so far.

Can anyone recommend a good wireless router, £100 or less? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connecting a second router to Super Hub.

Why not enable a wireless Guest Network for the lodger, AFAIK these are limited to 20Mbps.The guest network would be on a different subnet so would be seperate to your main network

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Okay so , perfectly possible to connect a second router to the HUB, usually its done with HUB in modem mode, at which point your new router is the single access point.

If you are using that, with QOS enabled, you can connect YOUR machines to it and give them the lions share of the bandwidth. Trying to connect your machines to the HUB direct and the lodgers to a second router introduces needless complexity.

You COULD use an access point for the lodger, which would just get hardwired to a spare HUB port and HUB would still do the routing, and the AP would control QOS for the lodger- but again you are adding needless complexity.

Personally I would use the inherent bandwidth loss of powerlines to do it on the cheap- buy a pair of 200MBps or 500Mbps ones depending on what bandwidth you want the lodger to have and install one in his/her room and one connected to HUB- as they are severely speed limited it would give you free QOS.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

LOL or griffins solution is more elegant... but depending on which HUB you have, you may have to listen to him/her melting your head about WiFi dropouts...

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Why not enable a wireless Guest Network for the lodger, AFAIK these are limited to 20Mbps.The guest network would be on a different subnet so would be seperate to your main network

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Okay so , perfectly possible to connect a second router to the HUB, usually its done with HUB in modem mode, at which point your new router is the single access point.

If you are using that, with QOS enabled, you can connect YOUR machines to it and give them the lions share of the bandwidth. Trying to connect your machines to the HUB direct and the lodgers to a second router introduces needless complexity.

You COULD use an access point for the lodger, which would just get hardwired to a spare HUB port and HUB would still do the routing, and the AP would control QOS for the lodger- but again you are adding needless complexity.

Personally I would use the inherent bandwidth loss of powerlines to do it on the cheap- buy a pair of 200MBps or 500Mbps ones depending on what bandwidth you want the lodger to have and install one in his/her room and one connected to HUB- as they are severely speed limited it would give you free QOS.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

LOL or griffins solution is more elegant... but depending on which HUB you have, you may have to listen to him/her melting your head about WiFi dropouts...

0 Kudos