Menu
dkompany
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Connecting 2nd router as repeater

Hi i have the superhub 3.0. I dont get good wifi range in back bedroom and so got one of these to use as a repeater https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MXX6I12/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8. After connecting per instructions i cant get it to work at all, and not being tech savvy i dont know what it could be and so would appreciate any help please guys. Thank you
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting 2nd router as repeater

It looks like you have bought a router and not a wireless repeater.

Some wireless routers can be used as wireless repeaters, but unfortunately, the 1byone (re-badged Winstar) doesn't have this feature.

However, you can use it as a seperate wireless Access Point by connecting the 1byone back to the hub by ethernet cable and setting up the 1byone in Bridge mode and disabling the DHCP server.

You also have the option of putting the hub into modem mode and using the 1byone as the main router, but I would advise against this as the 1byone can only use 2.4Ghz band.

dkompany
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Griffin, i appreciate the reply. That's a shame.

I was given one of these awhile back http://www.rakuten.com/prod/etekcity-300mbps-mini-wired-wireless-router-repeater-access-point-ap/258...

Would that work at all?

Thank you
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It could do, but you may need to set it into repeater mode first. I am not familiar with that model of repeater/AP so, sorry I cannot help much there. But you will probably need to connect it to a PC and log into it with the default IP address which should be printed on the unit.

I should have mentioned in my first post that wireless repeating is not the best way to extend a wireless network. It is dependant on the quality of the wireless signal it recieves, so it may have to be close to the hub to get a decent signal which might be too far away from the client to improve the signal significantly. It depends on many factors like the Quality of the repeater, Distances involved, Wireless interference and the Topography of your home.  I would also be aware that wireless repeating will halve the wireless speed due to the half duplex nature of wireless.

A better way to extend the wireless network would be to use another access point as I mentioned above. However, this does mean running an Ethernet cable from the hub to the Access point.

A more convienient way would be to user Powerline adapters.

It would be worth to try and optimise your wireless signal first though. There are some tips here on how to do this.