Menu
MEC1
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Conflicting country code from my Virgin router

Hi there

When using my Macbook air, the internet connection keeps dropping. The Mac diagnostic says "a nearby wireless router which is identifying itself as originating from a country which conflicts with your current settings. This may prevent your Mac from rejoining a previously joined wifi network."

The following nearby networks conflict with your current country code (DE). All of my neighbours' networks are GB (they are all on BT as it happens), my virgin wifi is showing as DE.

Any advice welcome, thank you

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Conflicting country code from my Virgin router

Is there a MBA setting where you can turn this country check annoyance off?  Even if you think VM should do something (which they won't).

There seems to be a degree of thought police present in OSX.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
MEC1
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Alessandro - I've not managed to find a way to change the macbook's settings, still trying to figure something out. Just picked up another bit of information, not sure if it's relevant there's another Virgin media network in my neighbourhood which is also showing as DE country code. Also the signal to noise ratios look quite different for the Virgin and BT networks (e.g. Virgin = Signal / Noise: -64 dBm / -93 dBm  BT = Signal / Noise: -88 dBm / 0 dBm). I don't know if this is significant but it's curious. 

Will probably try ringing Apple and/or Virgin when I get time

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

MEC1 wrote:

Thank you Alessandro - I've not managed to find a way to change the macbook's settings, still trying to figure something out. Just picked up another bit of information, not sure if it's relevant there's another Virgin media network in my neighbourhood which is also showing as DE country code. Also the signal to noise ratios look quite different for the Virgin and BT networks (e.g. Virgin = Signal / Noise: -64 dBm / -93 dBm  BT = Signal / Noise: -88 dBm / 0 dBm). I don't know if this is significant but it's curious. 

Will probably try ringing Apple and/or Virgin when I get time

Trust Apple to be totall aynal (and wrong) about WiFi connectivity.  The VM hubs may well have their WiFi module fabricated in Germany (DE).  But the whole of the EU use the same WiFi standard and frequency bands.  So, Apple should have done their job properly and suppressed the warning if your MBA is set to UK and the wireless card is set to any EU or EEA value.

So aynal are they, that the provide a noise value rather than a signal to noise ratio.  You have to do that maths yourself.   In the VM case, -64 power and -93 noise gives a difference of -29, which is adequate.   The BT case -88/0 doesn't make sense, I'm afraid.

Have you popped the question onto the Apple MAC forums?  This must have occurred for other users.

Useful read:  http://www.howtogeek.com/211993/how-to-fix-conflicting-country-codes-and-improve-your-macs-wi-fi/

0 Kudos
MEC1
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ah, OK, it's all beginning to make sense to me now you've explained, thank you. I'm clearer on where to go now..

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You won't get anyone to do anything, though. The problem is resolved by putting the VM Hub into modem mode and using an external router like an Aurport Extreme.

All Apple needed to do was to trust the highest signal strength value or check a country code set. But no - they are not that bright.

0 Kudos
MEC1
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Very entertaining and constructive information, thank you ;-)

0 Kudos