Menu
Rooney86
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Choosing a server (Connection Speeds)

I'm thinking this is a stupid question but have to ask it as my internet speed is going up and down a lot.  Is it possible to choose which server my internet is connecting to?  I'm getting lag when gaming online and streaming anything ends up buffering often. I've tested my speed a few times on a few sites and got varying results, when the test is run connecting to local servers such as Enniskillen i'm getting proper speeds near 100mbs(download) 15mbs(upload) but when its run connecting to anywhere else i'm getting about 30mbs (download) 5mbs(upload). If i can't do this is there anything i can do to help stabilize my speed, surely it shouldn't be jumping so much. I have Vivid 100.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Choosing a server (Connection Speeds)

Enniskillen are potato servers...

Nice to see someone local(ish) to me on here, we are few and far between.

To answer your question (without being any help at all)  when you run a speed test largely you can select the server you connect to. But when you are just plain using your internet connection, it  connects to your local node of VM's infrastructure.

I get better results connecting to Scottish servers than local ones on most sites. But that really doesn't help you actually resolve your problem.

So we can help us to help you, can you

Go to your Superhub Log in screen

Do NOT log in.

Little button top right.....

Can you post Upstream, Downstream and Network logs.

Screen caps are nice, C&P will do- Don't stress about formatting if you C&P. Someone will get a look and see if there's anything obvious amiss.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Rooney86 wrote:
Any idea whats causing the lag and buffering then if the levels seem ok? Usually only using one device at a time and even If I was using more than one that shouldn't be a problem on vivid 100.

You don't give much evidence to go on to make a determination (apart from the power levels).

Suggest you:

a) Post more diagnostics, such as links to speed tests, trace routes, Thinkbroadband BQM, network log etc.

b) Search the forum using the first part of your postcode and look for a utilisation fault (aka "high peak time traffic") in your area. Of course you may not be on the same cable/node as people nearby who have problems, but at least it will get you started in a direction for investigation.

c) Test everything by ethernet cable direct to the hub, to rule out wifi issues.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Rooney86

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to read that you are having issues with your broadband connection.

I've taken a look at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running low.

I can see the advice given by MUD-Wizard in relation to speed tests, BQM, trace routes, did you manage to try these at all?

With the disconnection error message, do you only notice this when playing online? Do you notice disconnections through general browsing?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Nice to see someone local(ish) to me on here, we are few and far between.

To answer your question (without being any help at all)  when you run a speed test largely you can select the server you connect to. But when you are just plain using your internet connection, it  connects to your local node of VM's infrastructure.

I get better results connecting to Scottish servers than local ones on most sites. But that really doesn't help you actually resolve your problem.

So we can help us to help you, can you

Go to your Superhub Log in screen

Do NOT log in.

Little button top right.....

Can you post Upstream, Downstream and Network logs.

Screen caps are nice, C&P will do- Don't stress about formatting if you C&P. Someone will get a look and see if there's anything obvious amiss.

Rooney86
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_2016-09-30-01-00-00[1].pngScreenshot_2016-09-30-00-59-48[1].pngScreenshot_2016-09-30-00-59-40[1].png

That's my downstreams and upstreams if it helps any.

Im in Derry so i think Enniskillen is the closest server i've connected too.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

How do you fit the potatoes down the coax? Don't they come out the other end mashed? Smiley Tongue

p.s. Power levels are fine. SNR is great.

Rooney86
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Any idea whats causing the lag and buffering then if the levels seem ok? Usually only using one device at a time and even If I was using more than one that shouldn't be a problem on vivid 100.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Rooney86 wrote:

You don't give much evidence to go on to make a determination (apart from the power levels).

Suggest you:

a) Post more diagnostics, such as links to speed tests, trace routes, Thinkbroadband BQM, network log etc.

b) Search the forum using the first part of your postcode and look for a utilisation fault (aka "high peak time traffic") in your area. Of course you may not be on the same cable/node as people nearby who have problems, but at least it will get you started in a direction for investigation.

c) Test everything by ethernet cable direct to the hub, to rule out wifi issues.

0 Kudos
Rooney86
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'll try all that tomorrow. I have been testing with ethernet, main devices I use are wired.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Rooney86 wrote:
Thanks, I'll try all that tomorrow. I have been testing with ethernet, main devices I use are wired.

Post link results from http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and http://www.speedtest.net/ using several different servers for comparison.

0 Kudos
Rooney86
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

20161007_223050.jpgI've got this message a few times when playing online. I don't think it's an issue with the speed of my connection now, it's just the fact that it seems to be cutting out or something. This is with a wired connection so nothing to do with interference of a WiFi connection. Buffering every few minutes when streaming too. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Rooney86

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to read that you are having issues with your broadband connection.

I've taken a look at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running low.

I can see the advice given by MUD-Wizard in relation to speed tests, BQM, trace routes, did you manage to try these at all?

With the disconnection error message, do you only notice this when playing online? Do you notice disconnections through general browsing?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide