Menu
lovingthebeer
Just joined
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Changing SSID's for individual 2.4 and 5 ghz bands Superhub 3

Hello

I have just got the superhub 3.

The 5ghz signal struggles to reach the top floor in my house.  Is there any way of configuring the individual SSID's for 2.4 and 5 ghz bands so I can choose the 2.4ghz band

Thanks

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing SSID's for individual 2.4 and 5 ghz bands Superhub 3

Your device should automatically drop to the 2.4g signal when the 5g gets low.

But if you would like to split them, the link below has some help pages on the Hub's, follow the links for "getting best wireless signal"

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=27595&CURRENT_...

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
fishears
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The answer to your question (as I have just found for myself) is "No". The SuperHub 3 uses one dual-band connection that supports 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I think an earlier SuperHub let you have two SSIDs, one for 2.4 and one for 5 but not this one.

I've just had to disable 5ghz because of a laptop that isn't happy with the dual-band connection. So now none of my devices can access 5ghz....

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

fishears wrote:

The answer to your question (as I have just found for myself) is "No". The SuperHub 3 uses one dual-band connection that supports 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I think an earlier SuperHub let you have two SSIDs, one for 2.4 and one for 5 but not this one.

You can change the SSID's in the wireless settings easily once logged into the hub UI. Just append -2G or -5G to the names. I changed mine to that on my (now broken and returned) hub 3.0 and will do so again on the replacement one I get soon.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Awal
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I think you're mistaken, by default both bands have the same name but you can give them different names (think it's in advanced settings - I'm not sure because I was one of the lucky ones and got my Hub3 replaced with a SH2ac) so just connect the device to the one you want, easy.

fishears
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Weirdly you both seem to be right but I swear that when I initially set my SSID there was only one entry for it and it was definitely working on both bands. Now when I look in Advanced/Wireless/Security I DO see an entry for each band.... mea culpa
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I checked my hub3 gui a couple of days ago, wanting to name them separately - and I looked also in advanced. I have no such option

then I googled it & read that hub3 was designed with one name for both. I'd love to see a screenshot proving me wrong & telling me how to split mine , or even how to keep 2.4 and disable 5

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you use the top level 'Configure your WiFi connection' it will rename both frequencies with the single SSID name you put in, and then apply the password to both as well.

To change them independently go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security.

There will be two boxes which currently have the same SSID in them, but the Hub 3.0 will allow to change each one separately and then you can save that change. Same applies for the Wireless passwords - they'll be shown as being the same, but the Hub 3.0 will allow them to be changed separately.

To turn off frequencies being broadcast that's in Advances Settings > Wireless > Wireless signal.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

well let's see...

login - advanced .... wireless. ....security.... yes you are right. a well-hidden feature Smiley Happy

I have added a 5 to the 5Ghz SSID. will scan later with my tablet wifi scanner apps to confirm that it has worked

as we are on a roll - on that same hub screen, can you explain all toese steerlist - invalid entries that appear further down please

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's a display bug and a known issue under investigation I believe.

Band Steering is a technique in dual-band WiFi, so could be connected to that.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own