Menu
Bracken1990
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Certain devices not detecting superhub 3

Hi, yesterday I started having trouble with my virgin wifi.

I had it installed last week and everything was fine for a few days.

I had 6 devices connected which all worked great until yesterday when 3 of them stopped connecting.

The devices that don't connect are 2 android tablets and an advent laptop.

They don't even detect the wifi signal, yet they pick up other ones like our neighbours. Been on the phone to virgin they say everything's working as it should and it must be the devices. Yet they all worked fine on the previous internet provider and with virgin until yesterday.

I have an iPhone an Xbox one and an android phone connected which all still work fine!

Any help would be great tried the usual resetting etc!
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Bracken1990
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Certain devices not detecting superhub 3

Cheers Tony, will do all you said when I get home from work.

I have rebooted numerous times and peformed a reset with the reset button up to now.

I can access the 192.168.... Page with my iPhone yes, my laptop has an Ethernet port but I'm not sure I have a cable anywhere but I'll have a root around.

I can see neighbouring wifi as a choice through both my laptop and 2 tablets. Just not mine!

Thanks
0 Kudos

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like you have turned the 2.4ghz wifi signal off in the settings menu
0 Kudos
Bracken1990
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

2.4 and 5 both still on but thanks!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Bracken1990 wrote: .....I have an iPhone an Xbox one and an android phone connected which all still work fine!

Any help would be great tried the usual resetting etc!

Can you kindly elaborate on "usual resetting etc" please? 

Did you perform a Factory Reset via the external recessed RESET button or something else...  reboot ..... cycled the power?

Do you have any "cabled" device PC/Mac/Linux (eg does Advent Laptop have an ethernet port?)

- and/or of working device can you access 192.168.0.1 in browser, DON'T SIGN/LOG IN, click on RouterStatus then screen print/scrape the following:

• Information > Software Version
  • Downstream
  • Upstream (not Burst Profile)
  • Network Log 

and post results (if any).

When you say you can see neighbouring BSSID's was this via WiFi choice or did you check with WiFi Analyser, Insider or similar?

We need to check your SH3 WiFi configuration as I suspect after a few days you may have a new DHCP lease renewal, which may have initiated a firmware update which possible could have stalled and/or returned you to Hub factory defaults? Ideally it shouldn't stall or return to factory defaults (obviously).

If you can access SH3 admin gui via (preferably) a wired connection then we can check/advise both 2.4/5GHz bands (SSID should be made unique eg "VMsh3-2g,VMsh3-5g" and SSID broadcast enabled ),  WiFi Security (ideally WPA2 and not mixed mode unless you do have legacy WPA only devices), and reset your pass key and on end devices.   

Note the password rules can be challenging for some users  but something like "5AbcdEfghijklm"    (14Chars without quotes should work, note numeric/uppercase positionals).

good luck.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Bracken1990
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Cheers Tony, will do all you said when I get home from work.

I have rebooted numerous times and peformed a reset with the reset button up to now.

I can access the 192.168.... Page with my iPhone yes, my laptop has an Ethernet port but I'm not sure I have a cable anywhere but I'll have a root around.

I can see neighbouring wifi as a choice through both my laptop and 2 tablets. Just not mine!

Thanks
0 Kudos
Bracken1990
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've taken a couple of screen shots but unable to put them on here. Any idea how I can show you them?

Made my own reply a helpful answer by accident doh
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bracken1990,

Thanks for the update, though not sure why you can't post the screen shots, any error message?

I've also taken a quick look at your connection from this end and no obvious problems to report, firmware is the up to date version too.

I wonder, if you set up a guest wireless network (on 2.4Ghz) using an alternative security mode, WPA2 perhaps, do the Android tablets and Advent laptop then pick this up?

Rgds

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Bracken1990
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ralph, I have no option to post screen shots from my phone, I guess I'll upload and post the links!

I will try your suggestion tomorrow although I'm pretty sure I've tried that over the past few days..
0 Kudos
clivetempleton
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

I am posting this to meat-up the thread with a slightly different approach which may help others. It took me 6h of searching and testing to figure out...

Situation:

Newly installed superhub 3

Devices: 2 Lenovo laptops: a yoga 2-11' ; and a T450. Android  and windows phones too.

Upon starting the hub for the first time (engineer present): 15mins for the hub calibrating itself, then seamlessly connected all devices and used for a full 1/2 day with no issue.

Infamous morning after: All device connected fine expect the Yoga 2 which didn't even see the hub' signal.

I suspected Antivirus, then Windows 10 update, then WiFi card drivers, then.. etc etc. Eventually believed that it was nothing but the laptop not seeing the signal.. but why.. it worked before!?! I needed to look for something that prevented the signal to be seen..

Explanation and solution:

The Superhub 3 doesn't send 2 different signals separately (like the superhub 2). Instead it bundles them into one and self-monitors usage to decide which to choose; i.e the 2.4Ghz or 5GHz one (Per Engineer's explanation).

On the Superhub settings web-page (BTW I read seriously slow page-access and refresh from others.. mine navigated and saved easily within about 10-15sec max), I could see both channels were active and the devices connected (except the Yoga 2).

I encountered the following terminal command (from the cmd tool) on the web among my searches: " netsh wlan show drivers "

If you type this without quotes into your cmd session and press enter it will detail your WiFi adaptors parameters. If you look at the line saying "radio types supported" you will see the "b, g,n, " which on the hub correspond to the 2.4GHz frequency (only!).

Capture.JPG

I did the same on the T450 laptop and saw these plus the "a" one (cf below) which are for 5Ghz. Meaning on day 1 the Superhub chose to emit at 2.4Ghz, but on day 2 it chose the 5GHz band. The T450is capable of seeing this hence why it picked up on day 2. I went back to the Superhub settings page on the web and disable the 5GHz. Problem solved and instant signal visibility on the Yoga 2!

If it hadn't been for the engineer's tech discussion because I am curious, I would probably still be searching... ! Hope this will help someone.

Capture.JPG

Cheers,

Clive

carln1000
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've had the same problem, PC with USB wireless adaptor and my wife's phone couldn't detect the WIFI at all yet the other devices in the house did.

Thanks for this post Clive, worked straight away when I disabled the 5Ghz. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos