Menu
wardy61
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can't connect to HTTPS websites and 3d secure

Hi All, Having a problem with secure connections as my devices, desktop and mobile with various browsers, can't connect to any secure sites. This has happened since the upgrade to fastest connection and new superhub. Tried solving with Virgin support calls and chat several times now but still a major issue. I have tried turning off router firewall and all virus protection but still cant validate the connection. Any ideas? TIA Phil
0 Kudos
wardy61
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't connect to HTTPS websites and 3d secure

After 3 hrs with various support bods at Virgin, the conclusion is the router is faulty as works fine when in modem mode but not when in router WiFi enabled mode. Maybe the NAT in the router is the issue.

New router on the way so we shall see. If all else fails I will switch router to modem mode and add a WiFi access point.
0 Kudos
mbreb
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi did you ever get this resolved? I have similar problems with connecting to secure site when I'm connected to Virgin broadband but no problems if I try accessing the site on my mobile phone using 4G.

The biggest problem is the 3d Secure Verified by Visa and the Mastercard version not showing up when tryign to purchase things.

0 Kudos
PhilHornby
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I see a similarity with a problem I have just posted (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Can-no-longer-access-Netatmo-com-via-Vir...).

Would you do me a favour, and see if you can connect to http://netatmo.com using your Virgin Media connection.

0 Kudos
PhilHornby
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Scrub that - I found my problem.

0 Kudos
mbreb
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

PhilHornby wrote:

Scrub that - I found my problem.

No worries, I was going to try it when I got back home!

0 Kudos
mbreb
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

After trying a few things I found that the problem I was having connecting to secure sites, such as Verified by Visa and MasterCard Secure Code, was caused by the Child Safe filters. I haven't established which of the filters was causing the problem.

0 Kudos
mbreb
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

mbreb wrote:

After trying a few things I found that the problem I was having connecting to secure sites, such as Verified by Visa and MasterCard Secure Code, was caused by the Child Safe filters. I haven't established which of the filters was causing the problem.

Turns out that didn't work after all. Phoned Virgin and they told us it was our WiFi channel causing the problem!!! Eventually after 50 minutes on the phone, and lots of head scratching, we were told to check mxtoolbox because our IP address may have been blacklisted. After checking that it turns out that our IP address (thanks for giving it to us Virgin!) is blacklisted for spam emailing, possibly as long ago as 2008 i.e. 8 years before I became a Virgin customer!!). It's certainly nothing to do with me because I just have a personal gmail account.

0 Kudos
PhilHornby
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

we were told to check mxtoolbox because our IP address may have been blacklisted. After checking that it turns out that our IP address (thanks for giving it to us Virgin!) is blacklisted for spam emailing, possibly as long ago as 2008 i.e. 8 years before I became a Virgin customer!!). It's certainly nothing to do with me because I just have a personal gmail account.

Which blacklist is it on?  If it's the 'SORBS DUHL', then every Virgin Media customer is probably on there - it's just a list of dynamic addresses (and was populated by Virgin Media/NTL/Telewest). But that list is for use by Mail Servers, not Web Servers any way.

0 Kudos
mbreb
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

PhilHornby wrote:
we were told to check mxtoolbox because our IP address may have been blacklisted. After checking that it turns out that our IP address (thanks for giving it to us Virgin!) is blacklisted for spam emailing, possibly as long ago as 2008 i.e. 8 years before I became a Virgin customer!!). It's certainly nothing to do with me because I just have a personal gmail account.

Which blacklist is it on?  If it's the 'SORBS DUHL', then every Virgin Media customer is probably on there - it's just a list of dynamic addresses (and was populated by Virgin Media/NTL/Telewest). But that list is for use by Mail Servers, not Web Servers any way.

We're on SORBS DUHL but also on Spamhaus ZEN and Protected Sky. They were all spam related so perhaps the other two are for use by mail servers as well, in which case I'm guessing they shouldn't really be causing us any problems then?

The man at Virgin said our IP address might update soon and then it should be ok or we could use "Mode Mode" but have no WiFi. I'm thinking of using Modem Mode and digging out an old router from the loft so that I can have WiFi with it.

0 Kudos