Menu
Sohaill
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can't connect Flir FX camera to Virgin Media Hub 3.0

Hi, When I try to connect my Flir FX outdoor camera to my Hub 3.0 the green light on my camera just keeps flashing, which means it's having a problem connecting to Flir's cloud servers.

When I go into the hub's settings using the Web interface I can see that my camera is one of the connected devices but for reason there's a problem with connecting my camera to the Flir cloud server.

I contacted Flir's technical support team and they said I need to contact my Internet provider. I don't want to have to pay Gadget Rescue to help me, which I don't understand why that isn't a free service. You'd think virgin would have a team to help their paying customers connect their devices. There's no use having fast broadband if you can't even connect your devices to it.

I was previously with Sky and even though the speeds were terrible I never had a problem connecting my devices.

I'd really appreciate any help.
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't connect Flir FX camera to Virgin Media Hub 3.0

I have seen this problem with cameras connecting to the hubs before, alas I am unsure if there was ever a solution, but my little bit of advice to you is if you have the money get your own router and put the hub in modem mode, the amount of problems you will bypass and the improvement in your network will make it worth every penny
0 Kudos
Sohaill
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I purchased a BT 1200 wifi extender thinking if I connected it to the extender it may work but I guess if the hub is not working the extender will also not work.
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well you could give it a try and see if it does, although I am unsure of the result of that to be honest
0 Kudos
Sohaill
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I tried it today hoping it would work but nope it didn't. Do you have any recommendations of any routers that are better than my current one?
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-rt-ac1200gplus-wireless-router-1200-(300plus867)-mbps-dual-band...

That sort of thing should be perfect for average user, I personally use this.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/routers/n...

However I am more of a power user so it basically depends on your personal needs Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can you connect the camera to the hub by ethernet cable for testing? If so I would try this first, to rule out any wireless issues.

It looks like you need to forward ports 80 and 35000 in the hub. Not sure if the port forwarding on the Hub 3 has been fixed yet but you could try turning off the hub's firewall to test.

Have you had the cameras hooked up to a different system before? Have you set up the camera's DDNS service again as the Hub 3 will give you a different IP address as you had before.

However, a decent router would give you port forwarding that works and may provide an easier setup. (A long with many other benefits)

Sohaill
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I talked about port forwarding to Flir technical support and they said because the video streams onto their servers I don't need to port forward. I think port forwarding is if you have your camera footage streaming to your own system at home.

This camera worked perfectly with Sky broadband.

I'm advanced when it comes to technical stuff but my knowledge in routers is definitely lacking. And also their isn't an ethernet port. You connect it by going into direct mode using their phone app and connecting it directly to the cameras network and then you select your wifi network and put your password in. Then it should connect but that's where mine fails to connect.
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is something that has cropped up before but I still have never seen a solution of getting it working with the Hub itself, most people get a new router from what I've read its not ideal but with all the bugs in the Hub as it stands who knows what could be causing it
0 Kudos